• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Good use of shallow depth of field!

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Please post photos showing good or pleasing use of shallow depth of field!

Here is one of my favorites!

Will_Thompson_C_2009_%20256A8303.jpg

Canon EF 50MM f1.2L 1/200 f1.2 ISO 200 1DMKIII

Doug Kerr

Hi, Nicolas,
Doesn't work for me. The OOF stuff is too distracting.

_G8A3051.jpg

Fabulous! "Some day, my dear, all you can see will belong to you."

_G8A2678.jpg

Great shot, but the OOF flowers in the foreground are very distracting (not sure what you could have done, of course).

Best regards,

Doug

janet Smith

pro member
IMG_0014SS.jpg

This was one of my favourite shots from last summer, a secluded fragrant spot in the garden, this seemed to capture the mood of the garden, tranquil and soothing to the senses.....

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Duke

I really like this, I have a bit of a thing for dead/dying plants, there are some of my efforts on my website if you want to have a look...

Are these Echinacea or Rudbeckia? they're both some of my favourite flowers and the seed heads in the winter are great for movement and texture, I love the tone of this one you've shown, very evocative of late Autumn mists, beautiful.

Daniel Buck

Here's an interesting one of an apple tree:

rileys_13.jpg

And one with some tilt and swing, not really my type of image, but I was just tempted to do it with the fence there :D

rileys_09.jpg

Hi Duke

Are these Echinacea or Rudbeckia? they're both some of my favourite flowers and the seed heads in the winter are great for movement and texture, I love the tone of this one you've shown, very evocative of late Autumn mists, beautiful.
Thanks, I like this shot also.. Not sure what they are, but they are in my backyard in Montana.. they look like this when new.......
medium.jpg

Michael Brown

Cool stuff guys!
And Daniel, ..... really love the "apple tree" image you have shown.
The composition and overall appeal really pulls me in to that piece!

Here is another shallow depth of field image I randomly pulled up, ... since I do a lot of shallow depth imagery.

8607996-lg.jpg

Jim Galli

156764864_TMXdZ-L.jpg
Gary this is perfect.

Here's one from my chest of goodies. DOF although nearly forgotten in modern times, has long been a tool in the LF photographers tool box. It is much easier to achieve with very ordinary lenses as the format size increases. This one is done with a rather pedestrian 300mm f4.5 Wollensak Velostigmat lens on 8X10 format. A stroll though my website will reveal this is a mode I love.

TailstockS.jpg

tailstock

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
These pictures are astounding. Thanks Will for kicking this off. I'm in awe of so many pictures. I'm scared to exclude anyone. This thread alone makes my day!

Asher

Marian Howell

the sheer abundance of stunning shallow dof images in this thread is mind-boggling...absolutely glorious!! i so enjoyed it that i was inspired to contribute to it as a way of appreciating and extending it it :)

birthday candles
glasswort%20vertical%20f2.8-webv.jpg