Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Breaking News

Breaking News Updates, innovations, equipment: moderated!

Old July 23rd, 2009, 09:20 AM
pro member

Default Canon develops Hybrid image stabilization system

FYI,

http://www.canon-europe.com/About_Us/Press_Centre/Press_Releases/Consumer/News/Hybrid_IS_Press_Release.asp

This will also start the rumo(u)rs about which lens will be the first one to have this new IS and which is apparently scheduled for later in 2009.

Cheers,
Bart
Old July 23rd, 2009, 05:11 PM

Hi Bart,

I was amused to see you bring this news as I have been following up on the discussions regarding it in various fora. It seems that this new method of IS will have an impact on the macro photographers. We'll see how the practice will look like. For the time being, I await the reviews to come...

Cheers,

flickr
website
Old August 4th, 2009, 02:14 AM

I would like to venture - considering the empahsis on the benefits the new dual image stabilisation system to macro and close-up shooting - that we may perhaps see a new macro lens from Canon? Not than I imagine the 100mm f/2.8 Macro needs replacing (it's optics still apparently beat the Nikon equivalent, whose users have also complained that the VR does not help during Macro shooting), and it's for all intents and purposes an optically perfect lens, but with this new kind of stabilisation it may be sweet. Or perhaps Canon has something else up their sleeve (e.g. a true Macro zoom, something Nikon did before? A 50-150 f/2.8 IS 1:1-capable Macro might be a nice lens).