Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Breaking News

Breaking News Updates, innovations, equipment: moderated!

Old August 19th, 2009, 08:02 AM
pro member

Default Canon Powershot G11 to be announced

Hi folks,

It looks like it's a bit more than a rumo(u)r:
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-G11-Stabilized-articulating/dp/tech-data/B002LITT56/ref=de_a_smtd

AFAIK this model hasn't been formally announced yet, but the lower 10 Megapixel number, compared to its predecessor 14Mp G10, is an interesting move (hopefully towards image quality at higher ISO). The articulating LCD is also back. No info about video, sofar.

Cheers,
Bart
Old August 19th, 2009, 09:17 AM
pro member

In fact, 5 minutes after this paparazzo posted the above message, Canon released the official press release:

http://www.canon-europe.com/About_Us/Press_Centre/Press_Releases/Consumer/Cameras_Accessories/PowerShot_G11_Technical_Release.asp

Bart
Old August 24th, 2009, 03:08 AM

The most wondeful news of this new camera (which I am not at all in the market for) is the proof that hopefully the pixel-wars are over. I believe that this is the first time ever for a manufacturer to release an updated model with a lower pixel count. Now they can start focusing on what really matters (and it's not resolution, in my opinion...).

14MP in a compact sensor, and for the typical uses it's to be applied for, is simply madness, and I applaud Canon for this move!
Old August 24th, 2009, 03:44 AM
pro member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawid Loubser View Post
The most wondeful news of this new camera (which I am not at all in the market for) is the proof that hopefully the pixel-wars are over. I believe that this is the first time ever for a manufacturer to release an updated model with a lower pixel count. Now they can start focusing on what really matters (and it's not resolution, in my opinion...).

14MP in a compact sensor, and for the typical uses it's to be applied for, is simply madness, and I applaud Canon for this move!
I also welcome the apparent change of course, but it may be just a response to the cry for better high ISO quality. That required different technology, and the CCD they had available allowed to achieve just that.

It looks like it's a Sony CCD (it's specs are a perfect match). The somewhat larger potential wells and the binning capability will theoretically allow much better high ISO performance, but we'll have to wait and see what the actual implementation together with the DIGIC 4 can do.

With the articulated LCD, VGA video, HDMI output, high ISO capability, image stabilization, optical zoom range, it looks like a very versatile camera. It'll also be interesting to see how the economy affects the sales.

Bart
Old August 24th, 2009, 09:49 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_van_der_Wolf View Post
I also welcome the apparent change of course, but it may be just a response to the cry for better high ISO quality. That required different technology, and the CCD they had available allowed to achieve just that.
Canon is positioning this camera a the ideal photojournalists extra camera for rougher areas where discretion is needed. The Panasonic LX3 had greater high ISO performance so that has been a problem for their claims. Still they got out two supporting quotes from major agencies for the camera's use in photojournalism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_van_der_Wolf View Post
It looks like it's a Sony CCD (it's specs are a perfect match). The somewhat larger potential wells and the binning capability will theoretically allow much better high ISO performance, but we'll have to wait and see what the actual implementation together with the DIGIC 4 can do.

With the articulated LCD, VGA video, HDMI output, high ISO capability, image stabilization, optical zoom range, it looks like a very versatile camera. It'll also be interesting to see how the economy affects the sales.
The articulated screen is to me a loss as it's small! Even hanging over a building, I know where I'm pointing well enough and just want to not fall! No way I'm looking at the screen!
Still, I can see it being helpful for video where one may want to observe the frame and aslo outside the frame to see who is going to enter the movie.

Canon is certainly not the first Digicam MFR to reduce the number of pixels in return for quality. I believe it could have been Fuji that made this move a year or so ago.

This summer, I used my 5DII for a Wedding only. Otherwise it was the G10. The 5D and it's fine lenses never saw daylight otherwise. The images of the G10 are perfect for street photography, stitched landscapes or architecture and street portraits as well as family pictures. The potential for adding on a 580 EX II flash or an STBII and controlling banks of Canon Speedlights, I've never used, but it's there.

I will likely get the new version if the high ISO claims prove true for one simple reason: it's shutter is absolutely silent! That means I can take pics at a concert without someone going ballistic. I'd love Canon to allow us to disable the green light on the top which announces to all the stewards and ushers that a picture is being made!

I don't know of another low light capable camera that is that sstealthy. Maybe the LX3?

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old August 24th, 2009, 10:17 AM

Hi Asher,

That green light at the top is the AF-assist beam and it can be switched off on my G9 from the main menu, no sweat. I would be very surprised if it isn't also possible on the G10.

Cheers,

flickr
website
Old August 24th, 2009, 10:23 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cem_Usakligil View Post
Hi Asher,

That green light at the top is the AF-assist beam and it can be switched off on my G9 from the main menu, no sweat. I would be very surprised if it isn't also possible on the G10.

Cheers,
Cem,

My greetings to you and yours!

There are two lights. One signifies the G10 is switched on. That's the fella I'd like to kill!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old August 24th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Cem,

My greetings to you and yours!

There are two lights. One signifies the G10 is switched on. That's the fella I'd like to kill!

Asher
Hi Asher
put some black gaffer tape on it! it will kill the light and make you look as a 'pro' in the same time ;-)
Old August 24th, 2009, 11:52 AM

Hi Asher,
Sorry for assuming that you were referring to the af assist light, my bad. The other green one is the led which indicates the program mode chosen and can be easily dealt with as suggested by Nicolas :-)

flickr
website
Old August 24th, 2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas Claris View Post
Hi Asher
put some black gaffer tape on it! it will kill the light and make you look as a 'pro' in the same time ;-)
Excellent stuff that gaffer tape, lol.

flickr
website