• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Formatting of CFcard impossible

Michael Fontana

pro member
Got a problem when formating my cards in the 1 Ds-2:
instead of formatting, I got the message "Formatting impossible"

There's no erase protection on the files. It happens with all CFcards/SD-cards - the volumes are recognized normally as Fat - ms-dos. Therefore it has to be a camera-thing and not a card-issue.

Interesting enough - the files can be deleted, in the display-menu, which is not the same as formatting! The manual hasn't any help for that problem.

At the moment, Rescue Pro deletes the card.... but this is not a option in longer terms. hat takes about 10 min for a 2 GBcard.

Got a problem when formating my cards in the 1 Ds-2:
instead of formatting, I got the message "Formatting impossible"

There's no erase protection on the files. It happens with all CFcards/SD-cards - the volumes are recognized normally as Fat - ms-dos. Therefore it has to be a camera-thing and not a card-issue.

Interesting enough - the files can be deleted, in the display-menu, which is not the same as formatting! The manual hasn't any help for that problem.

At the moment, Rescue Pro deletes the card.... but this is not a option in longer terms. hat takes about 10 min for a 2 GBcard.

I have no real solution, but first formatting the card with a PC might help (I'm not sure what a Mac formatting does to a DOS drive). Maybe something in the card's BIOS got damaged, but it's unlikely that all the cards have that issue at the same time.

Bart

Michael Fontana

pro member
Thanks Bart
that's what I gonna do.

The cards are now in fat 16 ms-dos.
I deleted it on my mac, and it went to fat 32 - which is not recognised by the cam anymore.

Rescue Pro couldn't delete it....

Thanks Bart
that's what I gonna do.

The cards are now in fat 16 ms-dos.
I deleted it on my mac, and it went to fat 32 - which is not recognised by the cam anymore.

Rescue Pro couldn't delete it....

When you have access to a PC, it can format to FAT 16. I think there are free utilities on the Web somewhere that allow to format to FAT 16 (maybe they run under Parallels?), but I'm not familiar with MAC applications.

Does this work?

Bart

Michael Fontana

pro member
When you have access to a PC, it can format to FAT 16. I think there are free utilities on the Web somewhere that allow to format to FAT 16 (maybe they run under Parallels?), but I'm not familiar with MAC applications.

Does this work?

Bart

Thanks Bart

the old 10 D could formatt the cards - even the one that I had formatted half a hour ago as fat 32 -on the mac. There must be a problem with the formatting process of the 1 Ds-2. The rest works fine.

But still, I'd like much to know what happend.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Michael
As
It happens with all CFcards/SD-cards
I'm affraid that your camera needs a visit to Dr Canon… may be the occasion for a complete check of the camera (though I'm a firm believer to "if the engine of your car runs smoothly, don't bring it to the garagist!")