• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Amazing - Baby Tortuga release

Robert Watcher

My wife and I were at a beach close to where we are living in El Salvador today. An Australian woman noticed I had a camera and mentioned that there would be a release of 175 baby tortugas at 5:00, if we would like to come down to the waterfront.

The lighting was wonderful. It was a far more convenient time for photographs than in the black of night when many release the turtles. I had my Olympus E-M1 with the 11-22mm f2.8/3.5 four thirds lens attached. The people in charge, allowed me to go out beyond the line that they drew in the sand as a restriction for the viewers to stay behind for the safety of the turtles.

Robert Watcher

9F7B6AF2-D878-44ED-82AE-1E924573EC19.jpg

2D45B88D-62BB-408D-942F-B10B3B739748.jpg

A1921CE5-5243-42E7-9108-1041C470FBA6.jpg

3E483883-2E7F-4DCC-AC67-85F621CD906D.jpg

Peter Dexter

Out of the mouths of babes. I was sitting on a veranda overlooking the beach at low tide in Bahia Solano, Colombia when a chatty little girl of about eleven came up to me and started chatting: "This morning my friend and I saw a mother turtle crawl up on the beach and lay her eggs. She didn't cover them up though so we went and covered them up with sand". Then she said "You see those guys walking down on the beach? There looking for cocaina."

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is a beautiful series, Robert and can be shown I. So many ways. These turtles are mostly under grave threat.

Some species of Florida had populations of 600,000,000 prior to the industrial revolution and now populations arecdoen to existential threat level for survival.

So the work of protecting the eggs and then 40 days later releasing tgectrapped fellows allows a much larger proportion of young hatchlings to reach the water.

What a wonderful community effort.

Apparently, the turtles are a stranded or shipwrecked sailors lifeline. The blood is tapped every day and chugged down before it clots and then eventually the meat can be eaten.

No vitamin C so one will still get scurvy, but survive!

Asher

James Lemon

This is a beautiful series, Robert and can be shown I. So many ways. These turtles are mostly under grave threat.

Some species of Florida had populations of 600,000,000 prior to the industrial revolution and now populations arecdoen to existential threat level for survival.

So the work of protecting the eggs and then 40 days later releasing tgectrapped fellows allows a much larger proportion of young hatchlings to reach the water.

What a wonderful community effort.

Apparently, the turtles are a stranded or shipwrecked sailors lifeline. The blood is tapped every day and chugged down before it clots and then eventually the meat can be eaten.

No vitamin C so one will still get scurvy, but survive!

Asher

Any sailor that is so exceptionally stupid to drink turtle blood should not be sailing and deserves to be shipwrecked. lol

Peter Dexter

In the seventies a girlfriend and I were camping around South Florida. I came across sea turtle meat for sale. We cooked it over the campfire and it was delicious. I was young man and unaware that virtually all species were threatened. It was the principal source of protein for Seri Indians who lived (live) on the eastern shore of the Sea of Cortez southwest of Hermosillo, Mexico. The Loggerhead sea turtle, (probably the species in the photo) is featured on the flip side of of the thousand peso Colombian coin.

19449906333_c4cfb3f745_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Great find, the meat and the coin!

If sea turtle eggs are protected and in each major area volunteers release hatchlings and help them reach the water, locals could eat and the species could repopulate.

Just as lobster harvesting is successfully regulated in Maine, so I think one could protect and enjoy turtles in every way possible.

But first the losses of eggs needs to be cut!

Asher