• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

EIR/Aerochrome Semi-Simulation Lee #729 + Schott KG3

Hi
:)

When I say "semi-simulation", I mean that this filter stack only puts IR in the red channel, it doesn't do a true 'transposition' of IR > Red, Red > Green, and Green to Blue like EIR/Aerochrome does. So for example, visual red doesn't change to yellow as it does with EIR (look at the tail lights).
However, on the other hand, you can do a quick in camera custom white balance with this filter stack, yes even with a Nikon, and you get these images on the back of your camera.
What you see is what you get. These images have not been post processed. They are SOOC.

The stack is slightly slow, for example, these are shot at approximately the same exposure time/settings: ISO 200, f/11, 1/30s. D7000 UV/IR, 18-55mm VR.

This is a filter stack using Lee Scuba Blue #729 (polyester film filter) + Schott KG3 2mm glass filter. The 729 filter is cheap, easy to find, large sheet. The KG3 is a little harder to find, but could come in handy for similar stacks.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Steve,

Congrats on the setup. Do you have a picture of the front. Is it just a standard Lee Fillter setup?

What do you use for your standard visible light work?

Asher

Asher Kelman

This is a fabulously different effect. I would like to know what experiments you might have done with this in Photoshop.

I’m intrigued to see what the options are to get IR B&W interpretations too!

How versatile is this?

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Looks good to me Steve! Got inspired by the KOLARI EIR-Simulation filter which is now heavily marketed?
Yours looks better actually...Congrats!

Asher, basically the whole idea with this simulation is not to use Photoshop for much of anything.
Aslo, if you want B&W IR, then just use some IR Longpass filter, 850nm is my favorite for black and white, 830nm works also, even 780nm,
that is a much better way to do B&W IR than converting this to that.

Asher, The front has a KG3 2mm filter in a ring, and a Lee #729 gel type filter in a ring, stacked. Nothing to unusual looking.
Visual... Well, of course one can use this full spectrum D7000 for visual also, I like Schott BG38, BG40 myself.
Of course I have a few other stock cameras that are not converted, so probably I grab my D610 the most, I am more use to it that the rest.

A few more.
The filter I have made has been redesigned, it still works essentially the same way.
The name of the filter is Hrommagicus, these are SOOC.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Very impressive!

I will study it more in the morning, but right now, I see it’s a very efficient method of dropping most of thr color!

Asher

Most of the color? So the sky is not blue you mean?
What it transmits is visual blue, visual green, and replaces visual red with infrared.
It only drops visual red, but replaces if with IR. So anything that is red is reflecting IR.
These are landscapes, so they have mostly foliage in them, which reflects IR.
Visua Blue + Visual Green + IR (= visual red)

Asher Kelman

Steve,

This is an exceptionally good result.

I read the link with great interest.

So, who then is David Twede?

Does he market the filter?

What is the easiest way to get this filter?

Is it useful for scientific or crop studies?

Asher

Here is a graph close to the transmission of Hrommagicus.
Note how the visual red is suppressed. See how the blue and green range is transmitted, and how 720nm to 920nm IR is transmitted.

Here is an example of the the filter stacked with S8612 which suppresses everything above 700nm, so IR is blocked in the second picture,
all you see in the second picture is the 400nm to 570nm range, the violet + blue + green range.
Notice you can see a hint of yellow (or green-yellow) from the yellow 'tarp' (or some such object?) on the back of the truck. Yellow is roughly 570nm to 590.
Also notice that the red and amber of the tail lights are not from visual red, but are from infrared, and are black in the 700nm+ suppressed version.
Notice how everything that would be strong yellow, orange, red, and IR are black in the second photo.
The red channel of the first photo is filled with IR only, because the converted camera red channel is sensitive to visual red and IR, but sees only IR with this filter,
and the red channel is more sensitive to lower IR range (700nm-800nm+) than the blue and green channels are, via the Bayer sensor array filters.

This isn't exactly the same as Twede's stack. Same idea. This is a work in process, not a product, just a stack I am playing with.
Anyone can make the same thing, by stacking a couple filters.
You can almost the same thing by stacking Hoya B-410 2mm + Schott KG3 2mm, it will just look a little more orange. In fact, B-410 alone will work, but it will not look as good as when stacked with KG3.
I am glad you like the results.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Well, Steve, I am thrilled you share your pictures. What subject are you concentrating on? Do you have access to farms with machinery and cattle!

What happens when you change them to B&W in Photoshop, how good is the look you can achieve with your combination of filters to give you the jump start?

Asher

Try it if you want. :)
The truck belongs to someone else, I've never tried jump starting it.

Hrommagicus filter
A spooky old house in among the filbert orchards in the late afternoon.

Last edited:
Here is an interesting snap shot, showing big red flashing railroad crossing lights, yet you see no red light. Also you see no red on the lowered crossing arm.
This is because the Hrommagicus filter blocks visible red, and in the case of these red lights and red striped barrier arm, there is no infrared light being emitted from the lights or being reflected from the red stripes.
Yet, as you can see, the foliage on the distant hillside is red, from the reflected IR.

Here is a Google street view of the same railroad crossing, in visible of course, to compare color with. Of course, in the street view image, the red/white barrier is in its verticle instead of horizontal position.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Here is another Hrommagicus 3 shot stitched panorama.

This popped up and amazed me as I was about to comment on the railroad crossing

I see we have a range of reds to enjoy. Bold and clean!

I’m impressed and so appreciate you sharing

Asher

Asher Kelman

Yes it’s counterintuitive to lose the required red of traffic lights! It’s lije we have become blind. I need to think about that effect!

I think, hmm, someone shot out the lights or that’s sone ghost train!

Asher