• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Moving to Sony

Antonio Correia

I currently have a bunch of m43 lenses and two 5 Mk II but I am not satisfied because of the quality of the images. Not that they are bad, but rather I find the ones from Sony to be far better with more colour rendition, sharpness and so on. They just please me more to the eye that's all.

1. I am hesitating between the Sony 6400 APS-C and the Sony A7 cameras (which of the 7 is another matter). In fact the 6400 has all the necessary features which I mostly use and is sufficient for my photos but I am tempted by the 7... Perhaps it is a bit silly as the prices are not similar...

2. On the other hand I could not find (my fault for sure) an all purpose large aperture lens Sony zoom. I know I have to go and search and search. There are very good alternatives to Sony lenses, I am aware. The lenses must be E mount full frame, so I can share them with my wife if I get the 7. She wants the 6400 and she is right. :)

3. Last point - I am very pixel peaky and very concerned about micro-contrast which I do appreciate !

Thank you for any tips or suggestions ! :)

Jerome Marot

I currently have a bunch of m43 lenses and two 5 Mk II but I am not satisfied because of the quality of the images. Not that they are bad, but rather I find the ones from Sony to be far better with more colour rendition, sharpness and so on.

It is unlikely to be the camera, but rather the post processing. Your camera is just fine.

Now, let us suppose that you would still want to get another camera, whatever the reason. You are planing to get two cameras with different sensor size, the A6400 and A7. This is an exercise in frustration, as the two cameras demand quite different lens ranges.

Then, if you still want an A7 of some sort, may I point out that I posted a review of the A7RII and some reviews of lenses? ;)

Antonio Correia

It is unlikely to be the camera, but rather the post processing. Your camera is just fine.
Now, let us suppose that you would still want to get another camera, whatever the reason. You are planing to get two cameras with different sensor size, the A6400 and A7. This is an exercise in frustration, as the two cameras demand quite different lens ranges.
Then, if you still want an A7 of some sort, may I point out that I posted a review of the A7RII and some reviews of lenses? ;)

Thank you Jerome for you opinion.
But Jerome, I think that the E mount is for both A6400 and A7...
But never mind. I made up my decision: I will keep my equipment as the investment is rather substancial.
My wife will make her own decision. She has a good experience with a Sony (basic model) which she likes very much.
Can you please post the link to your review ? Thank you ! :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I recommended my older son get the Sony A6000 series. He was so impressed that lots of folk in his office and his friends followed suit. In fact that early camera is fine for pro events, even sport and weddings. Then my youngest son needed my A7R mark I and is in love with it.

Pictures from that are just a “good at 10 ft and ten inches” as the 80 MP Phase One.

Now of course, an expert, (in Capture One or any Pro Adobe application), could set the looks to match. Jerome, you are absolutely correct. But out of the camera, Sony’s pictures seem to punch way above their weight!

Now my older son has upgraded to Sony A7RIII. Out of the camera the jpgs are simply “perfect”. Occasionally he dumps a load of RAWs that are “especially important” for me to process, but mostly the RAW files are never used, as the OOTC jpgs are so good.

I strongly recommend the likes of the APS-C 6000 series, as one has tons of options in Sony, Zeiss or adapted lenses. All the Eos lenses you own will work almost flawlessly with the latest “Metabones” adapters. Furthermore, Sony G lenses are stellar.

I currently think that I would go for any 6000 series or the A7RIII if I was buying a lighter setup for street.

In truth, today it doesn’t make a lot of difference as long as one’s fingers know just where to go to set the camera right, for the shot one needs right now.

As long as one has 16 MP the rest is the photographers skill and opportunism!

Asher

Last edited:

Jerome Marot

But Jerome, I think that the E mount is for both A6400 and A7...

Sure it is. What I meant is that lenses designed for a full-frame sensor are rarely very useful on an APS-C sensor: too big and not the focal ranges needed.

My wife will make her own decision. She has a good experience with a Sony (basic model) which she likes very much.

The A6300 is just fine. Basically, all the APS-C models work equally well. The differences between them are inconsequential for most people. I still have a NEX7 (the first one with a viewfinder) and don't see a need to upgrade.
For this sensor size, the most practical lenses are the collapsible 16-55 kit lens and the 10-18. Your wife can also add the 55-200 is she needs the range.

Can you please post the link to your review ? Thank you ! :)

Here: http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21717

Antonio Correia

Thank you Asher Kelman and Jerome Marot !
Excellent and useful opinions ! Thank you Jerome for the link !

Much obliged ! :)

Peter Dexter

I have an a6000 that I use mostly with a Sony Zeiss 24 1.8. Sony keeps adding to the 6000 series but so far hasn't added anything that makes me want to upgrade such as higher pixel count. The lens is extremely sharp and I have found it can be used for just about anything from landscape to macro (taking advantage of the megapixel count and sharpness for cropping.) I also have a Batis 85 1.8. On the 6000 it has some telephoto effect which I didn't realize but I just back up.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Any skilled photographer who learns the buttons, can earn a living anywhere with any A6000 series camera and just one adapted $30 used Canon 50mm or 35 mm plastic lens with an auto adapter.

With a 24mm lens and something longer one is working at a level of perfection that provides not only a perfect tool but also pixel-peeping bragging rights to susceptible audiences!

My son’s office has $20,000 camera setups and the modest A6000 is the one mostly used day in day out.

Frankly, it’s hard to really justify anything better.

I do, (but barely)!

With modern software, even wall sized prints are readily achieved.

But I could say the same of the Olympus or Panasonic MFT format, except most “Professionals” seem to want at least a compact DSLR sized body, hence the new Consortium with Sigma for their novel fullframe, heavier L series body and new lenses!

Just look at Robert Watchers portfolios!

Asher