• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sleep Project

Antonio Correia

2019-01-11%4006.15.36-3-Edit-XL.jpg

2018-11-23%4012.24.37-Edit-XL.jpg

2018-11-23%4012.19.19-3-XL.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

.....very frightening for children and conscience-disturbing for everyone with a sense of self-worth and sense that we are part of a civilized Community with so called-Judaic-Christian/humanist values!

2011-11-05-144230-Edit-XL.jpg

But or sure, we are “civilized” and act with consideration “civility” by not insulting them further by spitting on them!

Asher

Asher Kelman

It’s amazing that we learn to not see!

But we are all kind and considerate but these folks cannot become our responsibility.

I was once told, (by a decent colleague), when I was trying to save a patient with advanced cancer, (against the iron will an unkind director of clinical services), Asher, don’t make other folks tragedies your own disasters!”

Of course I didn’t listen, but I didn’t have to bring the patients home.

When we pass the homeless we protect ourselves each time until we are almost numb to their pain.

But it never releases us!

Asher

Wow, I'm stunned. You know I live in a small town of about 30,000 people but it is certainly not a village. I have never seen in my lifetime people sleeping on the ground, or on benches etc.,. Of course, it gets so cold here, I think we have homeless shelters as otherwise people would die. Are these all homeless people or are some inebriated? I would find it very difficult to pass people like this and know what to do. It would bother me tremendously. Of course, I've seen pics on the tv and on the web, but the fact that you took all these photographs, means the problem is pretty wide-spread. Beautiful photographs but difficult to look at and even feel guilty for ever feeling like life is giving us a hard time. Thanks for the share, Antonio! Maggie

Asher Kelman

This is a case, where it’s NOT exploitative to take pictures of those below the bottom rungs of society.

Without holding up our lantern, the world would be able to pretend it doesn’t exist!

Asher

Antonio Correia

My dear readers and commentators,
Many of these photos are taken in warm countries like India, Sry Lanka, Myanmar for example. It doesn't mean however, that we can't "find" someone sleeping on the side board in Setúbal.
The other day I went to the market and there it was, a poor guy sleeping at the entrance. I told myself that I should have brought my camera but I will get him some day
Note that many people caught in sleep are either too tired like in airports where they ar supposed to spend a few hours or (and) in warm places. In fact Maggie, the cold is not a good friend.
The people I photograph are randomly found. Some are inebriated, some are tired, some are just sleepy...

i-Bj8Bv8h-XL.jpg