• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Solomon's Seal

It's been a little quiet around here so I thought I'd post something green and growing to at least remind everyone that Winter will end and we'll all get back to seeking out similar subjects. ;-)

Solomon's Seal is from my Flora collection and was composed at Hopeland Gardens in Aiken, SC. I felt that this was just a nice little floral scene. I also created some with hydrangea where I crammed them (was physically close and shot through the flowers so that they came out as just color), but they didn't make the cut.

The Artist's Story blog post for this piece can be read here: Solomon's Seal

SD16_1558.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It's been a little quiet around here so I thought I'd post something green and growing to at least remind everyone that Winter will end and we'll all get back to seeking out similar subjects. ;-)

Solomon's Seal is from my Flora collection and was composed at Hopeland Gardens in Aiken, SC. I felt that this was just a nice little floral scene. I also created some with hydrangea where I crammed them (was physically close and shot through the flowers so that they came out as just color), but they didn't make the cut.

The Artist's Story blog post for this piece can be read here: Solomon's Seal

SD16_1558.jpg

Steven,

This was a surprise for me, a revelation as I thought I recognized the leaves immediately: a common non-flowering dicot plant with variegated long and oval-shaped oval green leaves, so popular in the U.K. Massachusetts as a houseplant!

This plant of yours is totally new to me. So thanks!

It looks so similar to what I knew, the so called “Wandering Jew”, but this plant of yours is so totally different! Your Solomon’s Seal belongs to the lilioid-monocot genus!

This is a flowering plant with pairs of delicate white flowers hanging upside down from the stems! It looks like your plant had abundant flowers but the the petals have all dropped!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Interesting because they (leaves) don't look quite real.

Peter,

I didn’t even think of that possibility.

Could be that the variety are somewhat “waxy” or the settings lean towards increased saturation or Velvia look?

I have to look on a calibrated monitor compared to other images of these leaves.

To me, I was just taken back that these looked like a familiar dicot house plant!

Asher

Steven,

This was a surprise for me, a revelation as I thought I recognized the leaves immediately: a common non-flowering dicot plant with variegated long and oval-shaped oval green leaves, so popular in the U.K. Massachusetts as a houseplant!

This plant of yours is totally new to me. So thanks!

It looks so similar to what I knew, the so called “Wandering Jew”, but this plant of yours is so totally different! Your Solomon’s Seal belongs to the lilioid-monocot genus!

This is a flowering plant with pairs of delicate white flowers hanging upside down from the stems! It looks like your plant had abundant flowers but the the petals have all dropped!

Asher,
You're very welcome. I would not have known what it was without the little sign that had the name on it stuck in the dirt beside this group. Over the years, I've probably composed more of my work at Hopeland Gardens than any other place. It's only a few minutes from me and it seems that I can almost always find something there to point the camera at.

--Steven