• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

View of CofI Football Field

So I took out the old 8x10 out again after a while. I have been working on a series which involves me taking pictures of dolls using a 4x5. But today, for some reason, I decided to take out the 8x10 to shoot a panorama. Never had done it before, so I decided this was high time. Set everything up and took said panorama. Paper Negative (Gekko By Mitsubishi, matte finish), Dev in Dektol 1:5 till it felt right.
Inverted on pop paper, and scanned via an exceptionally dirty scanner (hence all of what seems like hair and oil smudges. Damn college kids don't know how to treat equipment with respect.).
8091386146_d14fa7501b_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Great enterprise, Rahul! Looks like it was made circa 1904, LOL!

Rahum Sharma: City of Iowa Football Field

8x10 Paper negative Processed in Dektol 1:5

Is this the result of stitching two overlapping images or else you used just 1/2 the film?What is pop paper? What ISO does the Gekko matte finish paper give you?

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

What is pop paper?

I suspect that is "printing out paper".

This is a negative paper that doesn't really have to be developed (I think the image just appeared - maybe one had to fix it for permanence). I think it was used to get quick and easy positive "check prints" from camera negatives.

Best regards,

Doug

Is this the result of stitching two overlapping images or else you used just 1/2 the film?What is pop paper? What ISO does the Gekko matte finish paper give you?

Asher

Thank you Asher!
I took two images on 8x10 and stitched them on the computer. POP as was very succinctly pointed out, is Printing Out Paper.
I am doing a self directed class here at the college on representation of Indian people by british photographers from 1850 to 1870. As such, I have seen a lot of very old photographs. What struck me as very appealing was the image quality, which paralleled, and in most cases exceeded what I could do with my D3000. So, I blatantly went to our College archivist, an old timer by the name of Jan Boles, who offered me his 8x10 on temporary bases. That was the start of my project (Which is still not finished, and most likely will end up here).
On the side, I also managed to befriend a chemistry professor, who is from the same fraternity as me. He offered me use of chemicals after I told him of my analog escapades. I managed to get silver nitrate and all that good stuff from him for free.
So, on the process, I doubt you can get this Gekko Paper. It is at least 30 years old from the packaging, and Mitsubishi got out of the racket a while ago. It doesn't matter. I have gotten the same results from Ilford MGIV. I have no idea what the ISO is, because I developed a different system. I did continuous tone exposures with masking, and figured out, after some calculation and blind luck, that if I take a picture from my D3000 at iso 200, and multiply the shutter speed with 150, I can use the shutter speed at the same f-stop after correcting for bellows factor. FYI, Ilford MGIV has a factor of 20. I reckon if you rate Ilford at iso 6 (which a lot of people do), then then it should be iso .75. Slow as a turtle on ketamine.
I develop them in dektol 1:5. (Actually, Jan Boles, acts as a technical advisor for me in this project. We both started using paper negatives together, because it is cheap. But he has 50 years of LF experience behind him, he is way better, and because he can, and cares, he advises me. He does split development in selectol soft 1:4 and dektol 1:20, and that gives some spectacular tonal depth. I just like higher contrast so I don't use that process. And I am lazy.)
The POP paper is made according to the directions given here http://www.alternativephotography.com/wp/processes/albumen/albumen-printing
I tone the prints in this cheap tea I like to drink.
Scanning is done on this nice, but horribly misused scanner at the college digital studio. Post-Processing, which I really don't like to do, is done on Photoshop. Some levels work, sharpening, and maybe inversion is all I allow myself.
I hope this helps Asher
Best
Rahul

Last edited:
Great enterprise, Rahul! Looks like it was made circa 1904, LOL!

Rahum Sharma: College of Idaho Football Field

8x10 Paper negative Processed in Dektol 1:5

Asher

I just took the liberty of correcting the title. It is College of Idaho Football Field. Football as in soccer.

Jarmo Juntunen

Hi Rahul, I really like the looks of this image. There's an interesting air to the scene, the old fashioned appearance combined with the modern aspects (i.e. cars in the background). Have you considered creating a whole series on the subject? Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to seeing your doll pictures, once you get to shoot them.