• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Wild Orchid

Peter Dexter

From an enjoyable exploratory hike in Colombian cloud forest. Restrepia contorta.

32308574577_d2e48e9539_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
That is very attractive and sensuous.

Is that curvy higher very thin strand of a petal functional or vestigial?

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The consumption of energy in plants is important so one would suppose it is functiona.
Exactly, Peter,

Any such structure, (with decreasing benefit to survival), gets minimal resources and shrinks to get the plant a competitive advantage over other variants.

So now, as an extraordinarily thin wisp of a leaf in your photograph, is it “highly selected” and advantageous? Or perhaps now a vestigial non-functional remnant. How can we know? Study of variants versus the pollinators and ecosystem might have already been done?

Last edited:

Peter Dexter

Yes the pattern got my attention when I enlarged the image. It's a very small flower. I don't know if there are any Restrepias in the US.