• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Mine Superintendent's House

Jim Galli

MineSuperintendentsHouseS.jpg

mine superintendent's house

This gorgeous old house may not make it through this winter. It sits at 7655 elevation above Manhattan, NV right atop a mountain peak, and above the White Caps Mine. It is a crow's nest of a house with nothing else around for miles. Upon inspection, anyone can see that it was in it's day, not only a comfortable house, but even elegant. The distant mountains across the valley are about 15 miles as the bird flies. For the curious, drop this long-lat into Google Earth and it will fly you there. 38° 31.865' N, 117° 3.066' W I worked in shirt sleeves Saturday on this at 7655 feet.

Alain Briot

pro member
Hi Jim,

Is this image up for critique/suggestions or just for looking?

I made some changes to it but I won't post it unless it's ok by you.

ALain

Jim Galli

Excellent. Thanks Alain. Always open to ideas. In the original I doubled the contrast in the sky over what nature provided, and boosted the saturation on the wood hues. So I was already on the same track, I simply chose to throttle at a different place than you did. This was seven panels with a D200.

Others?

Alain Briot

pro member
Jim,

That's great. I thought it was a multi-frame panorama.

Did you have to 4 wheel drive to get to this location?

ALain

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
MineSuperintendentsHouseS.jpg

Jim Galli: "Mine Superintendent's House"

Jim,

What a surprise from you! It's not even in B&W! There are no swirls or immaculate bokeh.

When I read, "Mine Superintendent's House, as I was preparing images for delivery, I thought, I'll get to that shortly, must correct Jim's English, to "My Superintendent's house"! I'm thinking, he's a grandfather, has old cars, his cameras to look after, maybe a few acres with chickens, some sows and a few cows too! So I expected to see a house with a guy with a pitchfork or a back hoe! Well, this is far from what I expected!

Alain is, I believe, on the right track in the processing he's applied. However, the sky might be stealing even more attention as it becomes bolder in this new presentation.

MineSuperintendentsHouseS_AK_Crop.jpg

Jim Galli: "Mine Superintendent's House"[/I]selective curves and sharpening; then cropped of strip off top and tad of the bottom to remove distractions.

So, I suggest one might keep the general idea of the color changes but crop to tame the clouds to have the last life of the building defend it's dominance over the entire panorama.

Asher

Jim Galli

Thanks Asher. I wish it was mine. Even now I picture some plywood sheers to stabilize it through another winter, then a new roof, and rebuild of the walls just as they were. What fun to return it to it's status of perhaps 1935. Sipping coffee on a fine morning on the porch, or snuggling in the living room next to the fire place on a cold evening would be bliss.

Jim Galli

very nice! No photos of the house through the nice glass you usually shoot with!?

Not this time. It seemed it needed color and panorama to support. Plus I had told my patient wife that this would be a fire wood trip :~')) While I had the tripod leveled I briefly thought of a 3 panel 6.5X8.5 in BW......but didn't. With the normal sharp photos the Nikon is edgeing it's way into the usual LF territory. Why bother when the DSLR is so good for this type of photo?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks Asher. I wish it was mine. Even now I picture some plywood sheers to stabilize it through another winter, then a new roof, and rebuild of the walls just as they were. What fun to return it to it's status of perhaps 1935. Sipping coffee on a fine morning on the porch, or snuggling in the living room next to the fire place on a cold evening would be bliss.

Honestly Jim,

I'd write you a check right now, except it would bounce higher than the sky! I wish this was your place and I'd not be jealous. Maybe the owners will allow you to repair it for the purposes you describe. You should give it a try, LOL!

Asher