• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Gentle Critique of My Protogee's River

Rachel Foster

I am mentoring a talented 13 year old artist. We both like this one (iso 100, f/4.5, 1/60, manual, handheld, Rebel XTi with 17-85 zoom).

smallchristiansriver.jpg

What advice would you have for my young protogee?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I am mentoring a talented 13 year old artist. We both like this one (iso 100, f/4.5, 1/60, manual, handheld, Rebel XTi with 17-85 zoom).What advice would you have for my young protogee?

smallchristiansriver.jpg

Hi Protegé,

You have a kind friend in Rachel, for sure. First, there must be fun! :) That's the key to this. The photography we like to address must entertain us! Fun is a great opener and that's what it must be. The Rebel XTi is an incredible camera for anyone and for a 13 year old is a Stradivarius!

There's no limit to what you can do.

For this picture, choosing to frame the reflection of the clouds in the water is fun and a great start. So reflections might be an interesting way to connect different shots. If that is attractive, try also photographing reflections of everything you can find: ducks, plants, boats anything you can discover.

Also use a mirror!

This picture is a mature shot.

Asher

What advice would you have for my young protogee?

Hi Rachel,

The image is a promising start.

Depending on the surroundings, try stepping to the side and thus allow the water to enter the image boundaries from a corner. Try stepping left, and then try stepping right, and see what works better. Try to avoid centering the object of interest in the frame too much, until also that can be applied to increase the intended effect (e.g. symmetry).

In general, it may be nice to have something interesting in the foreground to create perspective and depth. Also try composing strictly below the horizon (in this case), or strictly above the horizon for a more unusual composition.

Cheers,
Bart

Rachel Foster

I agree with that, Bart, but I'm also trying to figure out what the centered shot has that is particularly captivating. There is something promising there. I think the framing of it has potential. Maybe shooting from a lower angle, with a more severe crop so that the framing is more subtle and effective at the same time.

I'm impressed with his work and drive.

Nigel Allan

i think it is a very promising start and to have the opportunity to start so young and get your 'eye' so early in life is exciting. Just imagine what another ten or twenty years experience will bring...I didn't pick up a camera before I was 21

For me the image shows your protege/e is thinking about their pictures and not just snapping chocolate box cliches. The only criticism I might offer is that for me the reflection of the trees in the water clashes a little or blends too much with the grass on the sides. I would go for another angle or even a PP treatment which creates more of a distinction and contrast between the grass and the reflection .

But this shows there is a lot of poetntial here

just my initial gut reaction

Michael Fontana

pro member
Hi Rachel
that image is well balanced, well done

my advise would be to ask your protegé a 2nd or 3 rd photo of the same theme, which leads in my book to the question which theme was captured, I' ve a hard time to decide.

Your young artitst making experiences him/herself would be the best advise I could give anyway.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
More please

I'd like to have seen a little bit more of the original trees in the image. The reflection here is the subject but the original trees would give it some real pop.