• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

playing with flash

Nigel Allan

_DSC2339.jpg

Nigel Allan 'Montana taken with flash'

Doug Kerr

Hi, Nigel,

Nigel Allan 'Montana taken with flash'
It appears that the exposure time was such that there is a blurred component from the ambient illumination (what I sometimes call an "aura").

While that can be a useful artistic tool, in most cases is just makes the image look a little vague.

Many cameras, in their Programmed Exposure mode, with flash active, will set the exposure parameters to provide "good exposure" of portions of the image not benefiting from the flash illumination. But often, they will impose an upper limit on exposure time ("lower limit on shutter speed", perhaps 1/60 sec) to avert substantial "aura".

Often in other automatic exposure control modes (such as "aperture priority") the camera will just let the exposure time fall where proper exposure of the background would dictate, often resulting in substantial aura (especially if the ambient illumination level is low).

Often control of this effect calls for fully manual exposure settings, with the aperture set , for example, where depth-of-field considerations dictate, and the shutter speed set at the highest allowed when flash is involved.

Nigel Allan

This was taken while playing with different flash settings (such as rear curtain sync) and panning as she rode on her bicycle in the woods (hence the green background) at twilight. I cannot recall right now whether I had set it to aperture priority or shutter. Either way it was too dark to actually focus so this was a bit of an 'accident' so to speak.

I appreciate it is not everyone's cup of tea and can easily look a mess (the other shots WERE a mess) but I quite liked the feel of this one. But that's exactly why I put it up for critique to guage how others might see it.

Thanks Doug for your informative observation

Mike Shimwell

Hi Nigel,

You can use the experimentation to learn to make pictures more intentionally than just finding the one you like. Doug's right that auto flash can be very useful, but you are likely to need to work with manual shutter and aperture in most circumstances to balance ambient and flash. Strobist was a good website to learn techniques, and he runs a 'bootcamp' from time to time.

Just a small point - you probably ought to deal with the red eye - your daughter may not appreciate that:)

Mike