• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Katmai Disagreement..

Jaime Johnson

111009-Disagreement.jpg

Jaime Johnson Katmai Disagreement

f8
ISO 400
1/500

Canon 40d / Canon f2.8 300mm.

Site:

http://jaimejohnson.zenfolio.com/

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Wowl Was this a genuine encounter? (Based on your other imagery I'd imagine the answer is yes.)

Ken,

Just how good are your nerves? Could you stand your ground at 4-5 ft from the bears? Even with a rip cord for a flare in your hand, there's, what a second to respond correctly? One cannot say to the Bear, "Hi, I'm an American, I come to your land in peace!"

What's amazing is that Jaime seems to do this all the while and has not fled!

Asher

Michael Fontana

pro member
Asher
Jaime seems to be a brother of these bears, not only getting close, but staying calme and controlling the image, still he's been furter away than 4 feets; its a 300 mm on a crop 1.6

The expression of the bear isn't aggressiv, which surprises me.
Any followers in the serie, Jaime?

Jaime Johnson

Asher
Jaime seems to be a brother of these bears, not only getting close, but staying calme and controlling the image, still he's been furter away than 4 feets; its a 300 mm on a crop 1.6

The expression of the bear isn't aggressiv, which surprises me.
Any followers in the serie, Jaime?

Asher is referring to another conversation we recently had - this particular picture is at a greater distance (as you point out), but about 30% of the time our big lenses are too much - we often have them approach us to 4 or 5 feet. Hard to explain when we're here, but not really that hard to understand when we're there. It seems pretty natural. There are so many bears around that they become a part of the landscape - wonderful place..

Several more images of this interaction - I'll dig some more out -

Nigel Allan

Generaly I am unmoved by shots of animals and pets etc. Lots of people take pictures of birds or squirrels in their garden and while technically flawless they usually leave me cold.

This is an animal picture I can look at and say, "Wow I wish I had taken that" since it is potentially confrontational and you cannot help but be engaged by and in it.

I'm right there with you (I wish)

Lovely

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The relatively small size of the eyes compared to other hunters like owls and eagles is interesting. I expect that the birds have little chance of being clawed. The bear however needed better protection so the opening for the eyes is small. Just wondering :)

Asher