• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Wattled Jacana - Amazon River in Peru

I recently completed leading a Photography Workshop trip to the Peruvian part of the Amazon River, with International Expeditions. It was an awesome trip, although the heat and humidity during the occasional jungle hikes were formidable!!

I'll be sharing a few of my favorite shots from this trip. In terms of equipment, I normally shoot with the 600L/f4 IS, but this was basically too big and heavy for the logistics of this particular trip (we were shooting out of smaller boats much of the time), so it was left home. I did most of my shooting with the Canon 100-400/f4.5-5.6 IS Lens, mostly with the Canon 1.4x II Teleconverter attached.

This is not an ideal combination of gear, basically shooting at f/8 to begin with, and dealing with the optical degradation of the Teleconverter added at the longest focal length of the lens, wide open. My yield of tack-sharp images was significantly down from what I normally expect.

This is the Wattled Jacana, quite similar in appearance and habits to the Northern Jacana we have frequently seen in Costa Rica, with the 'Wattle' being the most obvious diference.

Canon 1D Mark II
Canon 100-400/f4.5-5.6 IS with 1.4x II Teleconverter, at 560 mm
ISO 1000, f/8, 1/640 second, Manual Exposure
Handheld
1D2_05616.jpg

This shows the very typical environment of the Jacana, where it feeds in shallow waters along the edges of the rivers, streams, etc. It's often difficult to get a clear shot as they're usually obscured by the vegetation.

Comments, critique, questions always welcome.​

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is a great down-payment! I do like the sea of green and the head sticking up. but this bird would be very noticeable from above. What eats it?

What about the Canon DO 400 mm, have you tried that?

Asher

Asher:

I would imagine the Anaconda would prey on it, Caiman, etc. All from below. I don't know if any of the larger raptors go after it.

The 400/DO lens would be a good option, but alas, I don't have one. Another possibility would be the 300/f2.8. Both of these are quite pricey!

Rachel:

Thank you! That's what appeals to me as well.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher:

I would imagine the Anaconda would prey on it, Caiman, etc. All from below. I don't know if any of the larger raptors go after it.

Now that, Don, would be a really great shot!

The 400/DO lens would be a good option, but alas, I don't have one.
Michael Reichman gave it a so so review years ago but it seems it's one of Art's favorites in birdsasart.com

Another possibility would be the 300/f2.8. Both of these are quite pricey!
I sold mine but would like the f4.0 with I.S. Wouldn't that work for you? At least one could carry the thing for hours without dislocating one's shoulder! How folk can carry the massive lenses I don't know! I guess if I could afford a 600 or 800mm lens paying for a porter would be no big deal!

Asher