• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Horned Screamer

Another shot from my recent Amazon Voyage, this is of a species I had never heard of nor seen before. These are fairly large birds, which generally were quite a long ways from us. As we were speeding down the river one afternoon, I spotted one of these on a tree-top at the shore, and took a few shots. As we passed by it, it took off, and I was in a good position to get a series of flight shots.

The light was mid-day, and the blacks were so deep that getting much shadow detail was near impossible. But it does show the "horn" on its head, the basis for the first part of its name. I also like the spikes on the leading edge of its wings, similar to what I've seen on Southern Lapwings.

Canon 1D Mark II
Canon 100-400L/f4.5-5.6 IS with 1.4x II Teleconverter
ISO 640, f/10, 1/2000 second - Manual Exposure
Handheld

1D2_05658.jpg

Comments, criticism, questions always welcome.

I just posted a Video from the trip on YouTube, but it's still being processed. Will provide a link once it's ready.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Don,

I was wondering about the spikes on the leading edge of the wing and wonder if these are connected to the wing digits or are just keratin? In any case, do they serve a purpose?

Asher

Thank you, Rachel!

Asher - I did some googling and one site refers to them as "boney extensions" but I'm not sure of the anatomic details. A couple of references referred to them being used to "intimdate foes" and fight off birds of prey. I'm reporting what I've read, as I don't have direct knowledge.

Thanks, Eric. That's one of the things I like best about traveling - the opportunity to see and photograph new species of birds, or any other critter!

Don, isn't a 100-400 with an extender pretty heavy?

Well, I guess it's all relative. Compared to the 600L/f4 (with or without an extender), which I can "handhold" for perhaps a few minutes, it's pretty light! But with the 1D body, it's heavy enough that I'll use a Monopod for support when it's practical.

When shooting from a boat, and the birds are flying, I generally didn't have enough maneuverability with the Monopod attached, and just hand-held it. Builds strong muscles and puts hair on your chest!! (assuming that's your goal!).

I'll pass on the hair, thank you! I suppose if your shutter speed is fast enough some camera shake isn't a huge problem.

Precisely. Typically, the shutter speed I need to prevent motion blur from movement in my subject (flying birds, for example) is more than adequate to prevent motion blur from camera shake and my movement.

Being stabilized on a monopod or tripod has other benefits, especially in terms of greater precision in composition and keeping your subject in the frame, but not always. Depending on the circumstances, a fast moving bird can sometimes be better followed hand-held.