• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The last hummingbird I saw this year...

Black-chinned Hummingbird

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
What are the flowers that attract them? Also why the name, "Black Chin" of this variety of humming bird, it should be green back! You pictures are exemplary and it's a credit to both your quick eye and using a 400mm focal length and 1/3200 sec shutter speed. This is impressive and speaks well to Sony's investment in perfecting the legacy of Konica-Minolta technology it leveraged on. There's a lot of magic that Sony added but the superior bloodline and breeding stock of Konica and Minolta cannot be discounted!

Sony A700 is a camera that should be considered when one is considering buying both a long lens and a camera at the same time! If one can capture a Hummingbird then why not a a wedding or a news story. We're fortunate to have you not only bring us these delightful pictures; but also the revelation that it was achieved with other than a Nikon or Canon is encouraging. By what factor sis you have to decrease these pictures to make these jpgs? I'm wondering how large the birds might be printed?

Asher

janet Smith

pro member
Absolutely beautiful Winston, what gorgeous photographs, I've just got up and these are the first photographs I've looked at today and what a fabulous start to the day they are - thank you.

They're all wonderful, almost impossible to choose between them.... but I think No's 3 and 4 are my favourites, just beautiful!

Forgot to pick a post prefix...Please C & C.

Those are wonderful, as always!
Thank you, Rachel

What are the flowers that attract them? Also why the name, "Black Chin" of this variety of humming bird, it should be green back! You pictures are exemplary and it's a credit to both your quick eye and using a 400mm focal length and 1/3200 sec shutter speed. This is impressive and speaks well to Sony's investment in perfecting the legacy of Konica-Minolta technology it leveraged on. There's a lot of magic that Sony added but the superior bloodline and breeding stock of Konica and Minolta cannot be discounted!

Sony A700 is a camera that should be considered when one is considering buying both a long lens and a camera at the same time! If one can capture a Hummingbird then why not a a wedding or a news story. We're fortunate to have you not only bring us these delightful pictures; but also the revelation that it was achieved with other than a Nikon or Canon is encouraging. By what factor sis you have to decrease these pictures to make these jpgs? I'm wondering how large the birds might be printed?

Asher
Asher,

I don't know what the flowers are. They are clearly designed for hummingbirds. I'll find out tomorrow and report back.

The name comes from the male, this is a female. Details...

My A700s have served me well and with the 70-400G make a pretty good fast-handling birding setup with reasonable reach. These are the only images made with this setup that I have posted here.The A700 is about to be replaced, probably with an answer to the Canon7D.

For birders, it's all about reach and handling. Reach is determined by two numbers: focal length and pixel density. The A700 has a 5.49µ pixel pitch; the 7D has a 4.3µ pixel pitch...that's a 27% increase in effective focal length.

Of four hummingbird images, the smallest crop is 2.25MPx and the largest is 4.05MPx.

This is a great series, Winston. Hummingbirds are tough with any gear, and you did quite well.

In terms of C&C, to my eye, the 2nd shot is the best overall shot. Excellent light, great pose and wing position, the flowers complement the image, and a nice, smooth even background.

The background on the 1st is a little 'busy' and somewhat distracting.
The shadows on the body and face on the 3rd detract a little, although getting the action of having the beak in the flower is a great plus.
The body and wing position, and beautiful sharpness on the 4th are great, with some of the bright background areas drawing away some attention. Some Photoshop work could probably tone those areas down and minimize the distraction of this excellent image.

These "nits" are minor, as each image is quite strong, but since you're asking for C&C, those are the things that struck me, and would get my attention if these were my own shots.

Great shots Winston.

I especially like numbers 2 and 3. The lighting looks natural, despite the flash, so you did well in balancing it. Did you use more than one flash?

Cheers,
Bart

Absolutely beautiful Winston, what gorgeous photographs, I've just got up and these are the first photographs I've looked at today and what a fabulous start to the day they are - thank you.

They're all wonderful, almost impossible to choose between them.... but I think No's 3 and 4 are my favourites, just beautiful!
No , no, no...thank you.

This is a great series, Winston. Hummingbirds are tough with any gear, and you did quite well.

In terms of C&C, to my eye, the 2nd shot is the best overall shot. Excellent light, great pose and wing position, the flowers complement the image, and a nice, smooth even background.

The background on the 1st is a little 'busy' and somewhat distracting.
The shadows on the body and face on the 3rd detract a little, although getting the action of having the beak in the flower is a great plus.
The body and wing position, and beautiful sharpness on the 4th are great, with some of the bright background areas drawing away some attention. Some Photoshop work could probably tone those areas down and minimize the distraction of this excellent image.

These "nits" are minor, as each image is quite strong, but since you're asking for C&C, those are the things that struck me, and would get my attention if these were my own shots.
Thanks, Don. Your comments are much appreciated. With some more prodding, I'll probably invest in a copy of Photoshop. I turned up the overall brightness in and add some more brightness to the shadows in #3. The change will take a while to show up here.

The main difficulty with this exercise was the location. The bird was quite permissive but approach was hindered by an intervening fence and that that she was feeding in a thicket; popping in and out of view.
Oh, I'd love to hear what you think about the 7d if and when you take the plunge.
I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.

Great shots Winston.

I especially like numbers 2 and 3. The lighting looks natural, despite the flash, so you did well in balancing it. Did you use more than one flash?

Cheers,
Bart
Thanks, Bart.

What flash?

Asher Kelman

Winston,

I hope the Salvia will being them back again as you are right there with a dream setup and a great eye. This is a happy segue from summer to late fall. I hope you can extend this as long as possible!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Winston, these pictures are wonderful and me and my wife have been viewing them for sometime.
Besides the hummingbirds, the technical mastery to capture such scenes is impressive to me at least.

I appreciate the sense of wing motion in #3 along with the postion of the camera.

I might just give the photographs a tiny bit more contrast, but they are excellent as presented.

Regards.

Winston,

I hope the Salvia will being them back again as you are right there with a dream setup and a great eye. This is a happy segue from summer to late fall. I hope you can extend this as long as possible!

Asher
The Salvia will be there; I know the gardener ;-)

Winston

I don't really care with what camera you did shoot this little guy… but you did very well!
We'd like to cherish him in our hands as he seems so close as you show him.

Pretty good capture!
Thank you Nicolas.

Winston, these pictures are wonderful and me and my wife have been viewing them for sometime.
Besides the hummingbirds, the technical mastery to capture such scenes is impressive to me at least.

I appreciate the sense of wing motion in #3 along with the postion of the camera.

I might just give the photographs a tiny bit more contrast, but they are excellent as presented.

Regards.
Fahim; thank you.

Interesting comment. I don't think they will stand much more contrast without loss of detail. Perhaps you would like them brighter (more gamma)?

Asher Kelman

I Winston

I don't really care with what camera you did shoot this little guy… but you did very well!
We'd like to cherish him in our hands as he seems so close as you show him.

Pretty good capture!

Nicolas,

My great friend, of course not! It so happens, you have lenses that can reach across the universe and find these magic birds. Unfortunately, I sold my 300 2.8L to buy my 1DII and so the longest lens I have is 200 mm. Even with a x1.4 extender, this is really not any match for the right equipment. Most photography can be done with just one 24mm lens, a 50mm and a 70-200. However, bird photography, especially tiny bits of supersonic flitting fluff, the size of an egg, do need the right gear!

You don't know that if you already have the right equipment!

Asher

Unfortunately, I sold my 300 2.8L to buy my 1DII and so the longest lens I have is 200 mm. Even with a x1.4 extender, this is really not any match for the right equipment.

Hi Asher,

Couldn't you set up the camera (@ 200 mm) on tripod closer to the feeder, and operate it remotely (wired/wireless)?

Cheers,
Bart