• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Walking my way..

Jaime Johnson

120809-Grizz01.jpg

Jaime Johnson: Walking my way..

Canon 1D Mark III (Mark IV should be here in a week or so...) / Canon 500mm f4

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jaime,

Remind us of the geography, terrain and the way you set up for this shot in terms of gear and approach to the animal.

Asher

Jaime Johnson

You've probably all seen the "big green" in Tim Treadwell’s documentaries on TV. This was taken at the South end of the big green. Our boat was anchored a few miles away and we were dropped off on shore by a skiff. The skiff then returned to the main boat. We have radio contact if we need them, but they are about an hour away.

Our bear guide has us set up our gear in certain areas where he thinks the bears will come. Several bears are in sight, just not close. After some time (sometimes 15 minutes, sometimes 2 hours, sometimes not at all) the bears feed our direction and sometimes come real close. We are unarmed, no bear spray - just one bear flare (similar to a road flare). We can't run or retreat, we just have to sit it out and take pictures until our bear guide tells us otherwise.

We sit on low stools and have the tripods set up really low (maybe 36 inches?). No sudden movements.. staying close together (3 people).