• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Self portrait

Doug Kerr

In our town, Weatherford Texas (about 25 miles west of Fort Worth, in traditional quarter-horse and cutting horse raising territory), each December the local historical society conducts a tour of several historic homes in the area, all of which have been exquisitely decorated for the Christmas season by the owners.

Volunteer docents are stationed in each room to acquaint the visitors with the special features of the room, the history of the artifacts, and so forth.

This year Carla and I volunteered as docents. The home to which we were assigned was built in 1903.

We had wanted to do serious studio shots of ourselves in our festive garb before we set out, but various schedule complications interfered, so I just did a grab shot as we were almost out the door.

Docents_F13404R.jpg

Douglas A Kerr: Carla and Doug Kerr as Docents, 2009

I put the EOS 40D on my favorite tripod and mounted the Speedlite 580EX II. The camera was fired with my Zap Shot radio release (in case you wondered what I was doing with my left hand).

The studio background was not up (our studio is a multi-purpose room, to say the least), so we just "went to the piano".

The lighting was a wholly-unplanned mélange of flash illumination with ambient illumination from various CFL sources, corrected in-camera under AWB (the JPEG output being taken). Ambient exposure was in P mode, and flash exposure was by E-TTL II evaluative, with all defaults in place. It was almost a demonstration of all the things we hear one should never do.

My formal kilt outfit was a gift from Carla a few years ago - she commissioned it from a tailor in Glasgow. The tartan is for my clan, Kerr.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A great holiday picture from you and Carla for us all to wish you many more years together of comfort, joy and new beginnings!

Asher

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Doug,
You do look quite distinguished, and she's a bonnie lassie!
At first glance I thought of quoting Burns, but I'll leave you with this:

"May the best ye hae ivver seen be the warst ye’ll ivver see.
May the moose ne’er lea’ yer girnal wi a tear-drap in its ee.
May ye aye keep hail an hertie till ye’r auld eneuch tae dee.
May ye aye juist be sae happie as A wuss ye aye tae be."

fahim mohammed

Doug, what a pretty couple the pair of you make. value of these photographs are far far exceed any consideration of studio setups and technical howdunnits.

I would venture a guess as to what you two might partake at Christmas dinner!

May you two live long and prosper!

p.s what is or are ' docents' ?

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fahim,

Doug, what a pretty couple the pair of you make. value of these photographs are far far exceed any consideration of studio setups and technical howdunnits.

I would venture a guess as to what you two might partake at Christmas dinner!
Well, actually, the menu is pretty conventional, but the execution (by Carla) is always exquisite!

May you two live long and prosper![/quote]
Thank you so much.

p.s what is or are ' docents' ?
A docent (in this meaning) is formally defined as a lecturer or guide in a museum. The etymology is from the Latin for "to teach".

The term also is used in some cases for a lecturer at a university who is not part of the regular faculty (I've been that too!).

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, John,

Hi Doug,
You do look quite distinguished, and she's a bonnie lassie!
At first glance I thought of quoting Burns, but I'll leave you with this:

"May the best ye hae ivver seen be the warst ye’ll ivver see.
May the moose ne’er lea’ yer girnal wi a tear-drap in its ee.
May ye aye keep hail an hertie till ye’r auld eneuch tae dee.
May ye aye juist be sae happie as A wuss ye aye tae be."

A lovely thought. Thank you so much.

I'm afraid our girnal is a little bereft of moose at the moment!

Best regards,

Doug

Prateek Dubey

In our town, Weatherford Texas (about 25 miles west of Fort Worth, in traditional quarter-horse and cutting horse raising territory), each December the local historical society conducts a tour of several historic homes in the area, all of which have been exquisitely decorated for the Christmas season by the owners.

Volunteer docents are stationed in each room to acquaint the visitors with the special features of the room, the history of the artifacts, and so forth.

This year Carla and I volunteered as docents. The home to which we were assigned was built in 1903.

We had wanted to do serious studio shots of ourselves in our festive garb before we set out, but various schedule complications interfered, so I just did a grab shot as we were almost out the door.

Docents_F13404R.jpg

Douglas A Kerr: Carla and Doug Kerr as Docents, 2009

I put the EOS 40D on my favorite tripod and mounted the Speedlite 580EX II. The camera was fired with my Zap Shot radio release (in case you wondered what I was doing with my left hand).

The studio background was not up (our studio is a multi-purpose room, to say the least), so we just "went to the piano".

The lighting was a wholly-unplanned mélange of flash illumination with ambient illumination from various CFL sources, corrected in-camera under AWB (the JPEG output being taken). Ambient exposure was in P mode, and flash exposure was by E-TTL II evaluative, with all defaults in place. It was almost a demonstration of all the things we hear one should never do.

My formal kilt outfit was a gift from Carla a few years ago - she commissioned it from a tailor in Glasgow. The tartan is for my clan, Kerr.

That's a wonderful and a heartwarming picture Doug. Wish you a merry Christmas and a very happy new year.