• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Long Way from Home

Prateek Dubey

20190-fullsize.jpg

Prateek Dubey: Long Way from Home

There are many people like him who leave home and wander between one pilgrimage to another in search of God or truth or themselves. I recommend William Darymple's 'Nine Lives'. He's written a true story of a completely naked sadhu (ascetic) who was a lawyer before and belonged to a well to do family, but chose such a life. There are other stories as well. Each more shocking than the other...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
20190-fullsize.jpg

Prateek Dubey: Long Way from Home

There are many people like him who leave home and wander between one pilgrimage to another in search of God or truth or themselves. I recommend William Darymple's 'Nine Lives'. He's written a true story of a completely naked sadhu (ascetic) who was a lawyer before and belonged to a well to do family, but chose such a life. There are other stories as well. Each more shocking than the other...
Prateek,

I wonder about this man with such a burden he seems to bear and it's as if he is punishing himself to become purer. It looks as if you might have set in motion an upswing in the sales of Darymple's book!

Haunting image!

Asher

Prateek Dubey

Prateek,

I wonder about this man with such a burden he seems to bear and it's as if he is punishing himself to become purer. It looks as if you might have set in motion an upswing in the sales of Darymple's book!

Haunting image!

Asher

Hello Asher,
Yes these are his possessions. I was under an impression that these guys are runaways, though some are and some of them even felons taking refuge in religion and obscurity. Darymple's book opened my eyes. The world is full of possibilities and the meaning of life is different for different people. Its not necessarily about money, cars, D3x, and zeiss lenses. I've met a person who spoke chaste english yet chose to live in a temple at the New Delhi railway station. He told me that he was a landlord and gave it all up to be a wanderer...
A few lines come to my mind. They're from Donna Summer's song.

Cause I'm a wanderer, I've an attitude..
Cause I'm a wandere, I've no time..

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I've met a person who spoke chaste english yet chose to live in a temple at the New Delhi railway station. He told me that he was a landlord and gave it all up to be a wanderer...
A few lines come to my mind. They're from Donna Summer's song.

Cause I'm a wanderer, I've an attitude..
Cause I'm a wandere, I've no time..

Prateek,

To be a wanderer, it's necessary for other folk to find it necessary or expedient to feed them, otherwise there would be no wanderers that could last a week, unless they were a vagabond and stole too.

So is the culture package of india unusually supportive of folk trying to find their way spiritually?

Also, a thought, what percentage of these folk are not schizophrenic or otherwise delusional?

Asher

Prateek Dubey

Prateek,

To be a wanderer, it's necessary for other folk to find it necessary or expedient to feed them, otherwise there would be no wanderers that could last a week, unless they were a vagabond and stole too.

So is the culture package of india unusually supportive of folk trying to find their way spiritually?

Also, a thought, what percentage of these folk are not schizophrenic or otherwise delusional?

Asher

Hello Asher,
No doubt these guys live on alms and charity. Even an artist needs a support , but at least he's giving a unique vision to the world. This is where I believe a man becomes a burden.Total submission to fate is counterproductive and a waste of time. Most such people have no idea of their own capabilities.
Illusion has a unique place in Indian society. Called Maya, it often becomes an excuse for escapism, whereas The Gita ( Holy book for the Hindus) clearly defines yoga of action as a means of spiritual attainment.
There are many institutions who provide food and shelter for such people. Unwittingly, in my opinion they're doing more harm than good...
To the last question, I'll recommend you Darymple's book. You draw your own conclusions...