• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Fun: A Jazz-Ping-Pong Extravaganza! Challenge of the G10 over ISO 400!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Once a year, the seriously academic conservatory Students at Colburn Music School let their hair down and go Ping-pong crazed for several weeks as they try to find their new champion. The enterprise is commanded by the distinguished head of the Strings department and the last tournament places the two semifinalists against each other in a festive atmosphere with food and a Jazz band. The latter is remarkable for a classical music school and is an excuse for individual soloists to come out to the front and give a creative rendering of the bands paused melody of that moment. So I used the G10 mostly to make a fun video. This is the first time I'd tried that with the G10. As it turned out, the video, apart from my several sometimes jerky transitions to catch key happenings was pretty damn good.

I'll load the videos of the Band and the Ping Pong match later. For now, heres a few snaps with the G10

1. ISO 800

IMG_6405ACR_Perform_Forum.jpg

Asher Kelman: Ping Pong Tournament From RAW file, noise corrected, Canon G10, 1/30 sec f4.5 ISO 800, exposure -1.0, no flash

2 ISO 1600

IMG_6405ACR_Perform_Forum600.jpg

Asher Kelman: Ping Pong Tournament From RAW file, noise corrected, Canon G10, 1/100 sec f4.0 ISO 1600, exposure -1.0, no flash

IMG_6408ACR_Perform_Forum600.jpg

Asher Kelman: Ping Pong Tournament From RAW file, noise corrected, Canon G10, 1/80 sec f4.0 ISO 1600, exposure -1.0, no flash

Of course, the fun was immense, but I wish I'd have had the 5DII on top of the ladder I was using to video the table tennis. Next time, I'll set up the video from a mount on a ladder and just let it run so I can take the pictures with the 5DII.

Videos to follow!

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Obviously I could have used external flash. Consider that the Canon G10 has a dedicated Canon flash got shoe. So it can command any number of Canon flashes. I happen to have: 3 550 EX and 1 580 EX II units.

However, in the middle of a fun video, who wants to set up flash. It's time Canon updated their top of the line Digicam to have an AP-C size sensor or why not full frame? I must say, I don't like the quality of the color at ISO 800 and certainly not at ISO 1600. The video, however is much much better!

Asher

Asher

I must say, I don't like the quality of the color at ISO 800 and certainly not at ISO 1600. The video, however is much much better!

Hi Asher,

That means there is something wrong in the Raw conversion for still images. I also wonder how much quality can be improved by using a good noise reduction program before downsampling.

Cheers,
Bart