• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Gator takes out Coot (beware.....a little graphic)

Eric Diller

Went out to my local Wetland this Sunday I scored big on a lot of birds as did this 4 foot Gator. We heard a crunch that sounded like knuckles cracking 10 feet from us on the water edge and found this 4 foot Gator taking out a Coot.
Gator was in some tall grass...I got with in 12 ft. or so down low on the ground as my friend kept watch

PIC_7534.jpg

PIC_7552.jpg

PIC_7575.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I guess the gator crushes the bird to make it go down well, but what about the beak. Seems that would be a risk. In fact the sharp broken bones would seem to be a danger to the gator's own intestines!

Asher

Nice capture of something not often seen. It always amazes me how this behavior, which is obviously going on all the time, is not often seen.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nice capture of something not often seen. It always amazes me how this behavior, which is obviously going on all the time, is not often seen.

Don,

We shun such images and, especially at this time of year, focus on decorations and trinkets to buy that have no reference in nature. It's a shock to most folk to be faced with the reality of hanging guts in a shredded bird! After all, the duck we see on a dinner plate is usually garnished beautifully and presented with colorful vegetables in low light! The raw survival part of things is pushed further and further back from our consciousness so that the average person in a modern society has no sense of what brutality has in store for most living creatures!

The cruelty of war, is likely a return to plain raw human behavior. We consider it aberrant, but it may be more normal than buying a Piaget watch for Christmas!

That handsome lion, is not just a figure to decorate the glossy magazine pages to sell some expensive perfume or show that an investment fund is strong. Rather the lion's job is to hunt down creatuees like Bambi and tear them open to feed itself and it's pride.

So whenever we see the picture with a "graphic" warning I think oh, back to nature. I hope that we show these pictures so we have a sense of reality. Everything is not pristine.

Asher