• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Grizz..

Jaime Johnson

122309-Blondew.jpg

1DMark III - Canon 500mm

http://jaimejohnson.zenfolio.com/

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jaime,

You will never run out of followers for your pictures of bears in the natural environment. I trust that you take good care of yourself and I like the fact you use long lenses. The first thing I look for is the focal length, not for quality or bokeh, but to try and guess how far away you were!

So how close was "she"?

Asher

Jaime Johnson

Not sure how far at the time of this photo - but after the interaction was over, I measured five of my shoe lengths between where she walked by and my stool!

Yet another in a superb series of images.

Photography aside, are there not any realistic concerns about safety here? These are, after all, wild creatures, unpredictable, and while your knowledge and behavior I'm sure provide a reasonable measure of safety, are you not putting yourself in jeopardy with encounters at such close distances?

I forget his name, but there is obviously the story of that grizzly buy who eventually was eaten. Now from what I read, he was a bit crazy in many respects, but the same principle applies - these are wild animals, and you never know what can happen.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Yet another in a superb series of images.

Photography aside, are there not any realistic concerns about safety here? These are, after all, wild creatures, unpredictable, and while your knowledge and behavior I'm sure provide a reasonable measure of safety, are you not putting yourself in jeopardy with encounters at such close distances?

I forget his name, but there is obviously the story of that grizzly buy who eventually was eaten. Now from what I read, he was a bit crazy in many respects, but the same principle applies - these are wild animals, and you never know what can happen.

Hi Don

I guess you're talking about Vitaly Nikolayenko…

More of his history here

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Yeah, there are concerns - but if they approach you, you can't run away - they'll stop you!

You gotta die of something... ; )
Jaime,

I admire your work and enjoy the photography. I respect your love of the bears and sincerity. Obviously you have a lot of experience. Joking aside, even if you have a fatalistic approach to your own life, (to which you're entitled, of course), what then would happen to those bears? Would they just be allowed to roam free?

Couldn't you get the same shots at a safer distance with a longer lens? Are there any wildlife service rules for this?

Asher

Jaime Johnson

You make good point Asher and you are correct about the bears (who would want to hurt them).

I really can't describe the situation or area more clearly than I have done and would have felt the same if I hadn't been there to experience it. It is unlike anything I've experienced in Montana.

Our guide doesn't run us out willy nilly to chase bears and get close as he can. He spends every day for six+ months a year spending many hours a day in the area learning and posturing with bears. He knows the bears and they know him. As I've said before, they approach us not us them.

We leave our boat and hike on land. There are rules on how close to approach bears, our guide always abides by that rule. But, when you are two miles from anything or anyone that can help (our boat) - if a bear approaches you, you have no choice but to ride it out. If you were to run, you probably wouldn't make it. To people that are unfamiliar, it is reckless and dangerous. It really isn't for everyone - not everyone can deal with the situation, it is intense and there is risk.

We need to remember that Alaska consistently kills hundreds of these great bears every year allowing hunters to travel to Alaska and approach and take them with guns and bows. Including special hunts very near where these pictures are taken. It rarely if ever makes headlines and in my opinion is a larger injustice (money for fur). Yet, if a photographer is attacked and pays the ultimate price - they will make the front page and have movies made about his recklessness.. go figure.