• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Ramos

Charlotte Thompson

DSC_0468.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Charlotte,

Good to seeing you back to more mainstream portraits. One problem with my reaction to this picture is that there's no introduction, like "snapshot at ISO 3200 with my G10" or Abstraction of man after being sentenced to 12 years in jail".

How are we supposed to frame this picture. Is there some reason behind decisions you have made, or is this just a snap to remember a friend at a party. There are lots of things that one notices: he's bent down, eyes closed, hair has no life. I can't without help, understand what's going on. I want to care for him but I can't. It's not natural and not absurd enough. I'm lost. Likely, this image means much to you since you have more information and experience.

I have preference for B&W but ask questions because of the references I have in my mind to pictures with details throughout the grayscale. So here, I'm looking for detail in his hair but there's none to find. It's all one level of blackness R 0.0, B 0.0, G 0.0.

So how did this come about? Is this an accident, the best one could do under the circumstances or this represents some artistic maneuver.

Don't take this as a rejection of your work, rather that it has not reached me.

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

LOL this is a good friend who used to be a heavy meatl band long time ago and when I was taking the shot I was asking questions about him getting back to his music again and he was thinking about what I had asked him-he very much wants to do that again
also
just getting through with a job at 10 in the night and he was a bit tired-
he hates to be shot and this really is a goodgood catch of him
most of the time when I have a camera I always get the hand in front of the face-
thanks for looking and your very great and interesting reply

Charlotte-

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher

LOL this is a good friend who used to be a heavy meatl band long time ago and when I was taking the shot I was asking questions about him getting back to his music again and he was thinking about what I had asked him-he very much wants to do that again also just getting through with a job at 10 in the night and he was a bit tired- he hates to be shot and this really is a goodgood catch of him most of the time when I have a camera I always get the hand in front of the face- thanks for looking and your very great and interesting reply
Now, Charlotte, that's a good introduction. Now I understand much better than before. Thanks!
I don't recognize him. What band is he with?

DSC_0468.jpg

But still tell me why you have lost the detail in his hair. You shot this at ISO 200! Was your setting too low or did you lose the hair detail in photoshop? IOW, what is it you are doing that damaged the hair or was it not exposed right? So, is their detail in the original version?

Asher