• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Not exactly...

John Angulat

pro member
...a prime spot for a hot dog vendor!
Hopefully he's calling the Dept. of Sanitation!

JA3_1785editedsm.jpg

...from my street wanderings

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
A Sabrett

A nice Sabrett in Manahattan would be a real treat...but by the looks of his short sleeves, and the sunshine, this wasn't taken today. Even in Los Angeles at Pink's everyone was wearing heavy coats this week.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
JA3_1785editedsm.jpg

...from my street wanderings

John,,

I'm wondering if, in this unique circumstance, color in just in the food stand, the discarded pretzel box and the ? vendor on the phone, might be worth trying. Somehow, the elements might to be simplified by such color-coding. I know some feel that having part of the image in monochrome is an overdone kitsch effect just for itself. Still, here, perhaps, it might help show up the irony.

Asher

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Kathy,
Yep, definately a warmer-weather snap! We're lucky we don't have smell-o-vision...the odors wafting from the trash were a clear deterent to business for the unlucky chap!

Hi Asher,
Interesting! I like the idea of selective color. Kitsch, schmitsch...heck it's only a snap, why not play around, eh? I'll try to put that on tonight's to-do list!

John Angulat

pro member
John

LOL

never go there ok!
nice catch-
what was that guy thinking!

Charlotte-
Hi Charlotte,
Thanks!
I don't think the poor guy had much of a choice.
Street vendors are VERY territorial and each has a particular "spot".
NYC doesn't define that (it only grants and enforces the permits), it's all sorted out between vendors.
Get too close to another vendor and wars erupt. It can actually get very nasty.
So, this guy must've shown up at his "spot", only to find out last night's trash hadn't been removed. Not to be deterred, he set up anyway!
That's also part of the game...fail to set up and you risk losing your "spot".
His is a prime location - note the numbers on the light pole "45 5A". That tells you he's at 45th and 5th Avenue...darn good foot traffic there!

Ruben Alfu

Hi John, a few years ago I was considering garbage as a subject for street photo, never really tried it, I just never got a clear idea of how to do it. This would have been a great inspiration.

fahim mohammed

John, what a lovely find! No, not the food stand!
Pls. keep wandering more and keep us appraised of your finds.

Happy new year.

John Angulat

pro member
Hi John, a few years ago I was considering garbage as a subject for street photo, never really tried it, I just never got a clear idea of how to do it. This would have been a great inspiration.

Hi Ruben,
Consider these statistics: NYC generates 18,500 tons of residential and commercial waste, 8,600 tons construction and demolition debris plus 11,500 tons of fill material (rocks, dirt,etc) PER DAY.
You'd certainly have quite a photographic smorgasboard to choose from!

John Angulat

pro member
John, what a lovely find! No, not the food stand!
Pls. keep wandering more and keep us appraised of your finds.

Happy new year.

Ahhh...beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, or so they say!
Wander I shall. It keeps me out of trouble...

A very blessed and happy New Year to you and those dear to you!

Paul Abbott

John, l like this. Its a good documentary photograph. Its things like this, as well as other occurrences which happen on the streets of NY, that make me want to visit.

Did he actually 'fire-up' his hotdog stand and start to sell any, while the rubbish was still there ? It may have had to have been a hard sell, if he did. :)
May have been another good photo opportunity too.

Ruben Alfu

Hi Ruben,
Consider these statistics: NYC generates 18,500 tons of residential and commercial waste, 8,600 tons construction and demolition debris plus 11,500 tons of fill material (rocks, dirt,etc) PER DAY.
You'd certainly have quite a photographic smorgasboard to choose from!

That sounds tempting hehe. Yes, garbage in NY streets can reach colossal levels!

John Angulat

pro member
John, l like this. Its a good documentary photograph. Its things like this, as well as other occurrences which happen on the streets of NY, that make me want to visit.

Did he actually 'fire-up' his hotdog stand and start to sell any, while the rubbish was still there ? It may have had to have been a hard sell, if he did. :)
May have been another good photo opportunity too.

Thanks Paul,
Yes, he was up and running when I passed by later in the day. The trash was still there and his business seemed none the worse for it.
Although he never knew it, my purchase of a couple of "dirty water dogs" and a Yoo-Hoo was payment of sorts for the image.

Charlotte Thompson

John

thanks for the info on NYC vendors- being a southerner this is way different!
and yes fifth ave. is a ta tee ta kinda street-
NY must be full of all kinds of great shots-
cool*

Charlotte-