• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Peace and Quiet...

Not sure where to put this. It isn't wildlife as Mute Swans are domesticated.
Forum Gods: please move as you see fit.​

original.jpg

© Winston Mitchell​

Oh, how lovely! Too bad there is not a touch more light on the face, but very nice!
Thanks Rachel. I did try a version as you suggest but for me it lost the mood.

Hi Winston,

Lovely tranquility. BTW even domesticated swans can throw a hissy fit, which can get pretty wild...

One question; Why Black and White?

Cheers,
Bart (a mere forum mortal)
For this image, I found color to be a needless, complicating distraction.

In my state of rapidly advancing decrepitude, I sometimes have trouble coming up with a needed word. This time, the missing one was "moderators" ;-)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I like the line of water drops. Not often seen in a picture. You probably have room to lighten face or is that as far as it will go or should go?

Asher

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Winston, this is beautiful, I have often tried to photograph swans and have yet to come up with one I'm happy with, I'd be delighted with this if it were my shot. I think the choice of b&w is perfect, the darker background behind the swan adds to the gentle mood. The soft line of drips gently disturbing the surface of the water enhances the stillness. I feel inspired to go and visit the swans now, thank you.....

I like the line of water drops. Not often seen in a picture. You probably have room to lighten face or is that as far as it will go or should go?

Asher
At first, my response was no because I had already processed it to death. Then, I decided to try another tack...thanks for the push.

I had processed the photo for the mood and effect I wanted and then did as much adjustment brush on the bird as it could stand. I started over. This version was processed more for the bird and then I adjusted the water/background to achieve the desired result.

Not sure how successful this was...the face is more visible but the bird looks kinda flat.

Hi Winston, this is beautiful, I have often tried to photograph swans and have yet to come up with one I'm happy with, I'd be delighted with this if it were my shot. I think the choice of b&w is perfect, the darker background behind the swan adds to the gentle mood. The soft line of drips gently disturbing the surface of the water enhances the stillness. I feel inspired to go and visit the swans now, thank you.....
Thanks Janet...you're too, too kind.

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Winston,
I think you captured the mood quite nicely.
Others may have asked for a color rendition, but I believe the monochrome works so well.
Very peaceful, very serene.
Well done!

Hi Winston,
I think you captured the mood quite nicely.
Others may have asked for a color rendition, but I believe the monochrome works so well.
Very peaceful, very serene.
Well done!

Just beautiful

the mood is perfect in the shades of black and white
adds drama, charm and sophistication
I love it

Charlotte-

John, Charlott,

Thanks for looking. I still need to work on it some more. The bird is looking awfully flat to me.

A swan is the most cliche of subjects to me and yet you have undone 'the ugly duckling' effect with this masterpiece. Bravo!

Note: While it may look flat to you, I beseech thee to leave it untouched. There is a somber beauty here that needs what might be flatness. This is Narcissus when he finally understands how he's wasted his inner beauty looking at his reflection.

A swan is the most cliche of subjects to me and yet you have undone 'the ugly duckling' effect with this masterpiece. Bravo!

Note: While it may look flat to you, I beseech thee to leave it untouched. There is a somber beauty here that needs what might be flatness. This is Narcissus when he finally understands how he's wasted his inner beauty looking at his reflection.
Thank you, William.

It is indeed cliché and I was reluctant to post it because of that. I did fool around with it some more but found that I could not improve on the version you commented on. It is now tagged as "done".