• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: My nieces Anna and Madeline

Sydney Rester

Here's a shot I caught of my niece Anna. This is her first Christmas without her mom. I think the eyes say it all.

4226604855_e2d559bfec_o.jpg

Sydney Rester: My niece, Anna

Camera: Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Exposure: 0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 60 mm
ISO Speed: 400
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: On, Fired

Sydney Rester

My niece Madeline

This is exactly the same face my sister made all the time at this age. This looks a little washed out to me on the laptop I'm using now, but it looked fine on my normal computer. C&C welcome.

4226640971_d01eb828ac_o.jpg

Sydney Rester: My niece Madeline

Camera: Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Exposure: 0.008 sec (1/125)
Aperture: f/1.4
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 400
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: On, Fired

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A Special Portrait!

I'd like to first comment on Anna'a picture as it moves me the most. This is an especially soulful image and you have demonstrated again an ability to inscribe the mood of mourning, remembrance and reflection as you did in a previous picture I remember when you first joined OPF.

Sydney Rester: My Niece, Anna​

There is good detail and rendering of her clothes. However, even if that wasn't the case, it would still work as the mood and posture is so telling. If you can, try doing this in available light by the window and repeat, gradually slowing the shutter by reducing the ISO but keeping the aperture constant and open.

You might like the effect of klow shutter and a gradual blurring of what's detail and then all you are left with is posture, expression and mood.

Asher

BTW, How did you light her? Was this just with 1 camera flash?

Sydney Rester

Thank you Asher. I was using only my on camera flash with a diffuser on top. I had it bounced toward the ceiling. There was also wonderful natural light in the room.

She is an amazing child to photograph. She defines resiliance and still has the bouncy playfulness of a kid, yet if I catch her in a quiet moment, well, the gravity of the loss is clear.

janet Smith

pro member

Sydney Rester: My Niece, Anna​

A poignant, moving and very beautiful portrait Sydney, well done, you must be very justifiably proud of your nieces....

Sydney Rester

A poignant, moving and very beautiful portrait Sydney, well done, you must be very justifiably proud of your nieces....

Thank you Janet. I can never make up for the loss of their mother, but I've developed a bond with those girls I never would have had otherwise. That's one small blessing, I suppose.

Back to photography, they are a source of endless inspiration - their simple beauty and their many moods. It's certainly been interesting charting how they've progressed through grief. The eyes tell all.

John Angulat

pro member
This is a very moving image.
You've captured the mood (sad as it is) with dignity and grace.
My compliments to you as the image maker, and my condolences to all for your loss.

Charlotte Thompson

Absolutely "Outstanding"

I am in love with portrait work
to capture what humanity feels and is-
this blows me away!

I love the sepia work
but howdid you get that subtle color
wow-

Charlotte-

Sydney Rester

Absolutely "Outstanding"

I am in love with portrait work
to capture what humanity feels and is-
this blows me away!

I love the sepia work
but howdid you get that subtle color
wow-

Charlotte-

Charlotte - thank you! I am still so very new at this, your words mean so much. I started with a preset in Lightroom and manipulated it. Then a kind poster on another board helped me burn out a background distration and she changed the color a bit more. I really must give her credit for the color - it's indeed gorgeous!