• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

portrait

Jennifer Smith

I'm new here and I hope this is the correct place for this. These were taken with a kodak point and shoot (getting a Nikon D90 for my birthday in April) with no processing.

Please overlook the red eye..lol.

babies045-1.jpg

babies057-1.jpg

I have alot of software : CS4, Lightroom and ACDSEE but I can only do very basic touch ups...

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
babies057-1.jpg

Jennifer,

A delightful family and a great way to just jump in! That CS4 is amazingly capable but there's a learning curve. The thing to do is to get the basics under your belt with just knowing about levels and using a gray card. Levels allows you to see if the picture is using all capability of your camera. Ideally there should be enough light getting in the camera to get that histogram graph to reach the right side. If part of the graph seriously goes over, you are overexposed. If it's only half way across try a wider aperture or slower speed to collect more light.

In low light, you can increase the ISO, but too much increase, say over 400-1600 in many cameras, the picture becomes grainy. As you get more used to CS4 you'll find that the grain, actually called "noise" can be in some measure removed.

For now you are starting well. This second picture is exceptional in simplicity and having the child relate to you. Don't worry about too much editing. It's actually a black hole for time! In any case, next year, you can return to favorites and you'll be a an adept master of CS4!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Jennifer

the children are very beautiful- the female in particular
you should work with her more! she is a natural in front of the camera
expressive eyes and a natural look-
look also at your crops-

Charlotte-

fahim mohammed

Jennifer, welcome to OPF. Thank you for sharing your wonderful family with us. Contrary to what others
might suggest re: exposure and post processing ( validly I do concede ), if I was starting anew,I would
concentrate on the following:

" Is the portrait OF them or About them " ? Answer this and you are well on your way. the other things
are merely technical and of a big secondary importance. My humble opinion of course.

Good luck.