• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sunset Rendez-vous!

A vague figure who's waiting for a hypothetical appointment in an office building...
Man's body seems to vanish in a kind of sunset, maybe he's thinking about a better place to be.

6e660f51042efb947b2cbf4a82a89df.jpg

"Sunset Rendez-vous" - Cedric Massoulier

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Cedric,

As in your lunchtime picture with reflection of diners, I find that, at first, there's some delay in noticing the person at the table inside the restaurant/bar. Could it be that the picture might benefit from some adjustment to bring out that person waiting for the rendez-vous?

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cedric,

I'll speak my mind truthfully and I write this as an honest, constructive criticism. There is a lot going on in this picture. However, you have chosen to introduce the picture to us as follows:
A vague figure who's waiting for a hypothetical appointment in an office building...
Man's body seems to vanish in a kind of sunset, maybe he's thinking about a better place to be.
This puts us into a certain mind set and creates expectations. My expectation is then to be able to at least see a figure who is the focal point of the picture and attracts attention to himself. We should be able to see enough to conclude that he is contemplating something. Only then, we shall start wondering about what he might be thinking and/or doing there. As it is now, we do not even notice this figure until you point us towards him. So if your goal for this image is what you have written above, then I am afraid you haven't succeeded in reaching that goal. But does this mean that the picture is bad? Au contraire! As I wrote at the beginning, the picture is fine in various ways, but not according to this preset criteria. I think that this picture is more about the colors and shapes which on the one hand make it look like it is in a tropical environment (due to the palm tree in the office and the shades of orange, along with the horizontal blinds which are typical of the tropics) and then we have on the left hand side a bit of the reality. There we see winter trees of the Northern latitudes and the cool blue/gray skies. And the window frame dissects the picture into these two parts: reality vs fantasy.That's how I see this one :).

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Hi Cem,

It's true that i recently missed my target several times on OPF, with bad titles not well linked to my pictures ;) Maybe it is because i don't like to introduce my pictures and to explain them ? Generally, i use to present my work without any comment nor title as i prefer to let images to speak themselves... I make a special effort for OPF but it's not a success...

Regards,

Cedric.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cem,

It's true that i recently missed my target several times on OPF, with bad titles not well linked to my pictures ;) Maybe it is because i don't like to introduce my pictures and to explain them ? Generally, i use to present my work without any comment nor title as i prefer to let images to speak themselves... I make a special effort for OPF but it's not a success...

Regards,

Cedric.
Hi Cedric,

Please do not conclude prematurely that the title is not a success based on my reaction only. It may be that others really have a different view on that. I know that Asher "tortures" posters into providing info and titles about the images they post, lol. I understand quite well why it might be relevant for certain images to have the info, especially if the OP is asking for constructive C&C. If the image is shared as an intended piece of art, however, then perhaps the additional info is not needed. That is how I see it, YMMV. :)

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I think that this picture is more about the colors and shapes which on the one hand make it look like it is in a tropical environment (due to the palm tree in the office and the shades of orange, along with the horizontal blinds which are typical of the tropics) and then we have on the left hand side a bit of the reality. There we see winter trees of the Northern latitudes and the cool blue/gray skies. And the window frame dissects the picture into these two parts: reality vs fantasy.That's how I see this one :).
This is a fascinating viewpoint from which you translate Cedric's picture. What's remarkable is that in the end, with the two different worlds, separated just by a glass barrier, we observe a person separated off into a "bird cage" where it is viewed by Cedric!

So you have gone a step further than Cedric's close to the facts interpretation. In doing so, you have demonstrated that good art can work on many levels.

Asher