• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Young Antelope

Jaime Johnson

http://jaimejohnson.zenfolio.com/

Canon 1D Mark III / Canon 500mm f4

p716677687-4.jpg

This little fellow was camera friendly on day near the Rocky Mountain Front. The problem that plagued us was that we couldn't keep him 15 feet away so our camera lenses had problems focusing!

Last edited by a moderator:

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jaime,

This little fellow was camera friendly on day near the Rocky Mountain Front. The problem that plagued us was that we couldn't keep him 15 feet away so our camera lenses had problems focusing!

Just lovely.

The DoF separation from the background works especially well here.

Thanks.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
p716677687-4.jpg

Jaime,

This is a delightful picture. I hope you might make a special series for kids from your pictures of young animals. You must have quite a collection by now. This would be wonderful for a child's room.

Asher

Very nice, Jaime - agree with the comments above, although the background seems fine to me.

P.S. You're likely aware of this, but you can use Extension Tubes (I use Kenko's) to reduce the minimum focusing distance to minimize or eliminate the problem you talk about when your subject is closer than you'd want. You do lost focus at infinity when they're on, but will enable closer focus than your lenses would normally allow.

Jaime Johnson

Very nice, Jaime - agree with the comments above, although the background seems fine to me.

P.S. You're likely aware of this, but you can use Extension Tubes (I use Kenko's) to reduce the minimum focusing distance to minimize or eliminate the problem you talk about when your subject is closer than you'd want. You do lost focus at infinity when they're on, but will enable closer focus than your lenses would normally allow.

Thanks Don - I bought a set of Kenkos - need to use them now! ; )

Steve Robinson

Another very nice image Jaime. I'm of two minds when thinking about long lenses. I enjoy your images with the 500L but it's hard to zoom with your feet when using it. For awhile Pentax built the FA* 250-600mm f/5.6. I've seen some great images taken with this lens too. I'd love to have one but the last one on eekBay had a starting bid of $8000. Yikes!

Mike Shimwell

Jaime

What a lovely picture. It's actually a very gentle image and, to me, that sets it apart from a lot of wildlife photography I see. I like the way the background is rendered, and particularly the blue sky that anchors it nicely.

Thanks

Mike.