• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Optimism?

Sydney Rester

A good friend commented that she loves the optimisim of the uplifted branch in this picture. I took it today, in an ice storm, after finding out that both my husband and I may have lost our jobs today. Neither of us will know anything until Monday.

With nothing else to do but spin my wheels, I realized at dusk that I hadn't even tried to take any pictures of the icy branches. This was the result.

Her comment hit me because I have suffered from depression my entire life, but photography has been a better medcine for me than any pill. It pulls me from isolation to engage with the world. I think it's telling that even on a horrible day, some of that joy got captured in a simple photograph.

4314960250_5cf55215b7_o.jpg

Icy Branch​

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A good friend commented that she loves the optimisim of the uplifted branch in this picture. I took it today, in an ice storm, after finding out that both my husband and I may have lost our jobs today. Neither of us will know anything until Monday.

With nothing else to do but spin my wheels, I realized at dusk that I hadn't even tried to take any pictures of the icy branches. This was the result.

Her comment hit me because I have suffered from depression my entire life, but photography has been a better medcine for me than any pill. It pulls me from isolation to engage with the world. I think it's telling that even on a horrible day, some of that joy got captured in a simple photograph.

Sydney Rester: Icy Branch

Hi Sydney,

You picture is of a transient state the twig goes through in the time of harsh winters. It cuts the losses by slowing metabolism, conserving resources and some natural antifreeze to keep it going though the icy periods. Still, protected inside are the meristems in the buds and in the axillae of all leaves, so no matter what nature throws at that simple twig, it can regrow when conditions are propitious once more.

You follow in the ranks of a lot of folk who have been hit by the current economic disruptions. In all cases we've followed, the individuals got back on their feet and refocussed. I'm sure that with your mutual support and loving energy, your family will make it once more through yet another challenge.

Good luck!

Think of those leaves and blossoms and hibernating bears! You just have to survive the chill. They'll be plenty of new opportunity to be happy!

Take more pictures!

Asher

Ruben Alfu

Hello Sydney , this is a photo for the soul, it´s not only beautiful bu it actually makes me feel better.

Thanks for sharing and all the best for you and your family.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Sydney,

Just hang in there, I hope all will be well in the end. Strike that, I know it will be well. Your biggest asset is your health and strength and you will need a lot of it. Taking pictures can be a good way to improve morale.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Sydney Rester: Icy Branch[/center]

Sydney,

I looked again with a new perspective, going beyond the title and the truth of it in the transience of the cold ice, to the background. And what's there? It's a home out of focus, but for sure, a warm and cosy sanctuary. It's that which, as Cem so rightly points out, must be in focus. One is temporary! The other, your home and family are for the long term. These will endure. You'll get through this and come out with new vigor in spring.

Asher​

Last edited:

janet Smith

pro member

Hi Sydney

So many of us have been through anxious times like this, everyone that I know without exception who has been made redundant, has gone on to happy futures sometimes on the same career path and sometimes to something new. Let us know what Monday brings - I'll be thinking of you.....

BTW I like the shot, and yes it's important to keep occupied so more photographs like this please.

Hi,

Indeed, this is a good "photo for the soul"... Makes me think about old things : icy winters, childhod... Don't know why but it is.

Regards,

Cedric.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Sydney,

Firstly, what a lovely photograph.

More importantly, it is so gratifying to read of your outlook. We live in a wonderful universe, even on the worst imaginable of days.

I know that you face grave challenges. I am confident that your positive outlook, nothwithstanding some past history, will "pull you though".

If you produce ("for us") more wonderful images in the process, that is a double blessing.

Best of luck on every front.

Doug

StuartRae

Hi Sydney,

When I lost my wife in 1978 I was devastated, but friends and family, and especially the need to care for my children, brought me to the surface again. Stick in there, and eventually it'll all make sense.

I recently posted an image of some horse chestnut buds titled "Waiting for Spring", and I intend to photograph them every few days when they start to unfurl. Why don't you do the same with your branch and we'll compare development?

Best wishes,

Stuart