• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My First Macro shots

Wayne Stratton

Here is my first macro shot. I couldnt afford a true macro lens, and I read about extension tubes so I splurged on some and took this pic. This is of a water droplet on the edge of a cd.

4324651278_2ab9a96f4b_b.jpg

4324651838_1869b28a40_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rachel Foster

Wayne, I love the colors on this, but the focus (in my opinion) needs work. I don't know if an extension tube can get the kind of focus you need. Look at the macro forum and you'll see what I mean.

My advice, and heaven knows I am a babe in the woods when it comes to photography, is to find a genre and concentrate on that before skipping around. Don't go macro yet. Focus on your household series first, for example.

Wayne Stratton

Wayne, I love the colors on this, but the focus (in my opinion) needs work. I don't know if an extension tube can get the kind of focus you need. Look at the macro forum and you'll see what I mean.

My advice, and heaven knows I am a babe in the woods when it comes to photography, is to find a genre and concentrate on that before skipping around. Don't go macro yet. Focus on your household series first, for example.

Thank you Rachel. FOCUS is one of my MANY opportunities. :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Here is my first macro shot. I couldnt afford a true macro lens, and I read about extension tubes so I splurged on some and took this pic. This is of a water droplet on the edge of a cd.

4324651278_2ab9a96f4b_b.jpg

4324651838_1869b28a40_b.jpg

OK, Wayne, so you have this water droplet giving these colors. I'd work with this one topic and see if you can master the technic of getting the shot. Then look to see how lighting the drop or making other changes might improve it.

As I always say. Print it out in B&W and look at the form. Draw on it, and see if this is as you can best imagine it to be. Does this excite you? If not, find our what might do that.

In the end, this picture has to be something you know is what you are proud of. At this stage, you have wet your toe in the water of the project.

There is so much you can do, but what you happen to get as you start, is unlikely to be your very best. if you just move to something else, then you might miss a great opportunity. The idea is to find what interests you and have you imagination exploit it to the nth. You now have to get that somehow into the photograph.

Will it be like the picture you have? Perhaps but I think it will show its inheritence if you do the work.

Asher

Wayne Stratton

OK, Wayne, so you have this water droplet giving these colors. I'd work with this one topic and see if you can master the technic of getting the shot. Then look to see how lighting the drop or making other changes might improve it.

As I always say. Print it out in B&W and look at the form. Draw on it, and see if this is as you can best imagine it to be. Does this excite you? If not, find our what might do that.

In the end, this picture has to be something you know is what you are proud of. At this stage, you have wet your toe in the water of the project.

There is so much you can do, but what you happen to get as you start, is unlikely to be your very best. if you just move to something else, then you might miss a great opportunity. The idea is to find what interests you and have you imagination exploit it to the nth. You now have to get that somehow into the photograph.

Will it be like the picture you have? Perhaps but I think it will show its inheritence if you do the work.

Asher
I will give it a try, thank you for your encouragement and advice. I am having problems with focusing. I usually wear glasses and have a hard time seeing thru the eyepiece. I bought an adapter/magnifier that mounts on the eyepiece and then even switched to contacts but still cant see clearly.
I cannot afford it now but was wondering if the newer cameras with live view will fix my problem?

Rachel Foster

Ok, this is going to sound odd coming from me, but I'd say learn to use what you have before you upgrade.

Now, the next lens I'm wanting is......(ha!).

Doug Kerr

Hi, Wayne,

Number 1 is especially effective to me. It is a wonderful "abstract".

Number two is an nice "test shot" of a flat water drop!

Good luck with your further work in this field.

Best regards,

Doug