• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Thawing

Cem_Usakligil

Hi,

I have been experiencing a big dip in my photography for the past two months. I took very little pictures (almost none) and it feels as if I've completely lost my touch and motivation. So I have literally kicked myself out of the house this afternoon, not even knowing where to go to and what to photograph. I have ended up at the shore of a pond in the woods nearby. There was snow/frost on the partially frozen pond but it was starting to thaw. I ended up taking this set of pictures, which I think are passable. Please let me know what you think of them. Thanks.

f17738.jpg

f17710.jpg

f17668.jpg

f17602.jpg

Cheers,

Last edited:

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Cem,
I guess we all go through these periods. I, too have not so much as picked up my camera in the last few months. It passes, one finds motivation and we re-connect. I'm glad you got out of the house, for the effort was certainly productive!
I'm really liking these images, especially the second one.
There's a depth to it that very much pleases my eye.
The more I linger, the deeper I go into the pond. I like the way the leaves are gently stacked upon each other. They draw you in and keep my attention.
Thanks for sharing these!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Has my eyesight changed as I have the feeling that the background for these pictures s too bright! I found that with Dwayne Oakes' image here.

Somehow I feel that the images would be better on a charcoal background, especially the last one. So tell me, what's up? Am I mistaken. What do you guys think?

Asher

Asher Kelman

..... I have literally kicked myself out of the house this afternoon, not even knowing where to go to and what to photograph. I have ended up at the shore of a pond in the woods nearby. There was snow/frost on the partially frozen pond but it was starting to thaw. I ended up taking this

f17602.jpg

Cheers,

Let me start with this one as it's different than the others being so 3-dimensional. As I pointed out, ths particular white image needs to be offset by a charcoal background to be best seen, at least that's my suspicion. I do like the strong vertical statement of the post topped with ice and then the flat water below. It has a disarmingly simple geometry that is enough to hold our attention and transmit to us the sense of the changing time and the melting ice, grudgingly giving way to less sever conditions.

I wonder why the ice melted in such straight lines?

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Thanks John for the encouragement, much appreciated.

Asher I will see if a darker bg works better and re-post.

Cheers,

janet Smith

pro member
I have been experiencing a big dip in my photography for the past two months. I took very little pictures (almost none) and it feels as if I've completely lost my touch and motivation. So I have literally kicked myself out of the house this afternoon

Hi Cem

Good for you for venturing out into the cold, I know what you mean I've had to give myself several kicks to get out and photograph in the cold, and as you say search around for something to photograph, but I always find something.....

f17710.jpg

They make a wonderful series, but this one & the first one keep drawing me back, I like taking this sort of shot myself, I'm wondering how it would look with the shadows slightly deeper, and the colours ever so slightly richer? Did you enjoy yourself after you'd had to push yourself out of the house, I know whenever I'm in that kind of mood is when I enjoy myself most!!

Asher Kelman

Cem,

Interesting! Each looks better on its own! We are showing pictures wrongly perhaps. I have been obsessing with getting folk to center images and have some text before and afterwards to get space around each one. However, we need to take this further. Pictures must be treated more seriously as individuals and not stacked closely together like inanimate objects.

I think that the lesson is that art must breathe! Maybe we need about 4 spaces between each image so that every photograph gets individual attention with no vibrations from the neighboring pictures. They need to dominate their own territory.

Janet's showing of your picture is so much better than with it in series. Look again. Am I imagining it or so we need to allow each photograph it's own milieux and home space.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher,
Has my eyesight changed as I have the feeling that the background for these pictures s too bright! I found that with Dwayne Oakes' image here.

Somehow I feel that the images would be better on a charcoal background, especially the last one. So tell me, what's up? Am I mistaken. What do you guys think?
I have changed the frames to dark charcoal, see below. Is it better this way? PS: I've added extra space between the individual images as per your recommendation.

Hi Jan,
Hi Cem

Good for you for venturing out into the cold, I know what you mean I've had to give myself several kicks to get out and photograph in the cold, and as you say search around for something to photograph, but I always find something.....

They make a wonderful series, but this one & the first one keep drawing me back, I like taking this sort of shot myself, I'm wondering how it would look with the shadows slightly deeper, and the colours ever so slightly richer? Did you enjoy yourself after you'd had to push yourself out of the house, I know whenever I'm in that kind of mood is when I enjoy myself most!!
Thanks for the kind words. I have slightly burned the shadows in that image in the charcoal frame version posted below. Is that better? Re. the shoot yesterday, I can't say I have enjoyed myself a lot really. I was out wearing my city clothes/shoes and I did not have a tripod with me. Then I've ended up ankle deep in snow/frozen mud and unable to move/kneel/bend freely. That has limited my movements and the framing possibilities. I had to go to higher ISO settings to keep the shutter times fast enough to prevent blur. Nevermind my ramblings...thanks again.

f17738_2.jpg

f17710_2.jpg

f17668_2.jpg

f17602_2.jpg

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Here is a 50% of the actual size crop of the first image, just showing the details of the ice globe around the tip of the branch.

f17738_crop.jpg

Cheers,

janet Smith

pro member
I have slightly burned the shadows in that image in the charcoal frame version posted below. Is that better? Re. the shoot yesterday, I can't say I have enjoyed myself a lot really. I was out wearing my city clothes/shoes and I did not have a tripod with me. Then I've ended up ankle deep in snow/frozen mud and unable to move/kneel/bend freely

I've been in similar situations sinking in mud in high heels in a field when I forgot my hikers for some 'must get' shot - now I always keep a pair of hikers in the car!!!

Yes they look much better in the charcoal frames and for a bit of a burn - I really like the cropped version of the ice globe, which lens were you using?

Cem_Usakligil

I've been in similar situations sinking in mud in high heels in a field when I forgot my hikers for some 'must get' shot - now I always keep a pair of hikers in the car!!!

Yes they look much better in the charcoal frames and for a bit of a burn - I really like the cropped version of the ice globe, which lens were you using?
Good idea, I'll keep my mud boots in the trunk just in case. The lens was the EF 100mm f2.8 macro by Canon (the classic version).

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

On hindsight, I have decided to move this thread to "Riskit" since this is not my usual style of photography and the results are not as good as I would like them to be. Please feel free to chime in even if you do not like the pictures, I won't raise my shields :)

Cheers,

StuartRae

Hi Cem,

Congratulations on getting out with the camera. It takes quite a bit of will power in the sort of weather we've been having recently.

The cropped version of the ice-globe works very well - a little bit of magic on a dull February day.

I've been in similar situations sinking in mud in high heels in a field....
I've given up wearing high-heels in the winter.

Regards,

Stuart

Asher Kelman

Getting Fresh air for the Creative Person! Open that front door and start walking!

Hi Asher,

I have changed the frames to dark charcoal, see below. Is it better this way? PS: I've added extra space between the individual images as per your recommendation.

These pictures are coming alive. I wonder. The charcoal matt separates them much better from the white that works well with the typed text. This extra work of separating the pictures and showing them each separately makes a big difference in the individual experience as we pause the extra moments long enough for the essence of the photograph to speak to us and pull us inwards to its unique world.

I have started to visit art galleries and talk to the curators to learn more about this. They too spend a great deal of time working out the best way of showing images. This is something that folk often overlook. Thanks for helping us understand whats going on here.

f17738_2.jpg

Of course, you have also made the adjustments you mentioned to Janet but even taking these into account, the twig now thrusts forward and the drop of water is now a dynamic being. This, I contend is the release of the picture by giving us hat dark matt from which the eye re-calibrates its baseline reference and not against bright white.

Janet Smith said:
They make a wonderful series, but this one & the first one keep drawing me back, I like taking this sort of shot myself, I'm wondering how it would look with the shadows slightly deeper, and the colours ever so slightly richer?

f17710.jpg

Cem Usakligil: Original Photograph and Presentation

f17710_2.jpg

Cem Usakligil: Photograph and Presentation updated

Now the picture can be seen as much more dimensional. I'd divide the credit for this improvement to the adjustments and the border. However, the actual images are still very close in appearance of the various elements so I'd allocate most of the causality of the improvement to the new border and spacing.

f17602_2.jpg

This snow picture needed this separation as the white ice has "exploded" from nowhere as it does here.

Kudos for breaking out of your home and just allowing things to impact on your mind. This is actually one of the most important attributes for creative folk. It doesn't matter if you are a military planner, a scientist or an artist, being able to stroll and take things in as they come, something I call "centripetal" acquisition of solutions as opposed to trying to solve problems energized from one's central goals and needs. Normally, one has a project and one goes out to find solutions to what stands in one's way of success. That I call "centrifugal" acquisition of solutions. That's what the ordinary person does.

The exceptional way is to be able to wonder and at the same time allow the muses to enter. By going in new areas, now open to novel experience that on the face of it, would seem unrelated to one''s core needs, one becomes able to harness the creative force of imagination, analogy and projection to get new concepts to bring home.

This little journey you took with an open mind, allowed you build substantial images of things others would walk by. We must all do this. Opening the front door and breathing in the fesh air is the first step. Good job!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher,

...Kudos for breaking out of your home and just allowing things to impact on your mind. This is actually one of the most important attributes for creative folk. It doesn't matter if you are a military planner, a scientist or an artist, being able to stroll and take things in as they come, something I call "centripetal" acquisition of solutions as opposed to trying to solve problems energized from one's central goals and needs. Normally, one has a project and one goes out to find solutions to what stands in one's way of success. That I call "centrifugal" acquisition of solutions. That's what the ordinary person does.

The exceptional way is to be able to wonder and at the same time allow the muses to enter. By going in new areas, now open to novel experience that on the face of it, would seem unrelated to one''s core needs, one becomes able to harness the creative force of imagination, analogy and projection to get new concepts to bring home.

This little journey you took with an open mind, allowed you build substantial images of things others would walk by. We must all do this. Opening the front door and breathing in the fesh air is the first step. Good job!...

All I can say is a heartfelt thank you very, very much! :)

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

Thanks Stuart, I have given up on them too ;-)

Cheers,
Cem,

Your work not only feeds your soul but it is also challenging enough to make me stop what I'm doing and check out so many aspects of the photograph. In this you are a real help to us. Showing pictures you struggle with is important to us. When you wrestle, we benefit! Also you are pretty tolerant of my comments! That's kind.

I hope you will do more while there's still the muse in you and the ice on the ground! I have to go to the mountains or New York to get that much ice!

Asher