• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Afghan Boys

Wendy Thurman

Ran across these two young gentlemen while out shooting with the D3x for the first time:

_DSC2634.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Wendy

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Wendy,
Thanks for sharing!
These are two seemingly sad looking souls.
Do they have a story? Please tell us more!

Sad? I don't know. It's probably the scene that's unfolding in front of them that's not clear to them. What are they looking at? A big white MPV or a convoy, with military presence, people getting in/out of cars, what will it bring ...?

Cheers,
Bart

Cem_Usakligil

Sad? I don't know. ..
Agreed, we usually draw the wrong conclusions when we interpret the body language of others within our own local cultural context. To be fair to John, he mentioned "seemingly sad" :)

So Wendy, how do you like the new camera so far? The WB of this picture seems to be a tad warmer than normal, was it set to auto WB? Not that I am bothered by the WB, not at all! Thanks for sharing :)

Wendy Thurman

I had the white balance set to Sunny. With the D700 set to Auto, I got a bluish tint in some images I shot last year in Amman so I quit using Auto. The camera is everything people say it is- incredibly detailed RAW images. Despite its size, it handles well. I'm really looking forward to getting the camera underwater; macro images with it and the new 105VR are going to be stunning. It's a card hog though, RAW images at 14 bit color depth are over 30 megabytes.

I'll be in Lashkar Gah for a week beginning tomorrow and will take the D3x. We are setting up an office down there so I don't expect to come up with anything interesting but it's a chance to become more familiar with the camera.

As to the children- I think they were a bit intimidated by the blonde lady! There is a lot of sadness here but the children don't seem to be too affected by it. They laugh a lot and are indefatiguable at play.

Wendy

janet Smith

pro member
As to the children- I think they were a bit intimidated by the blonde lady! There is a lot of sadness here but the children don't seem to be too affected by it. They laugh a lot and are indefatiguable at play

Hi Wendy

I'm glad to hear that it was only the sight of a blonde lady that made the children look so nervous and that their life goes on as 'normal' with lots of energetic play.

Good that your new camera is living up to your expectations, I look forward to seeing more of your work when you get back from Lashkar Gah - take care.....