• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Engagement Photos

Rachel Foster

Today I had the opportunity to do an engagement photo shoot. I'm pleased, overall, but feeling a bit at sea because I am not seeing any obvious edits needed. The only edits (other than a little warming up of tones, slight adjustment on brightness, etc.) on these is cropping and in one shot I toned down the color of the sweater. What do you think?

sm5415.jpg

sm5429.jpg

sm5452.jpg

small5445.jpg

ISO 125, f/16, 50mm, tripod, strobe flash synced.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Wonderful mood, joy and magic caught in your hands, Rachel. For presentation, it's worth considering the post processing steps to open up that shadows and make the color consistent.

Lucky couple!

Asher

I'm seeing nice posing and great captures of the emotions, but the color balance is inconsistant. The first one has them with purple skin.

Avoid auto white balance. If necessary set a custom white balance at the beginning of the session, but avoid Auto.

Rachel Foster

Yes, I really need to give the spyder another shot. Thanks for the feedback. I've never before shot adults who needed so little touching up.

Ben Jones

I suggest only doing one pose and getting it right before moving on. IMHO the last pose, while a "standard" pose, would be a good one to master, and in order to assist you in mastering it here is my critique on that pose, and what is needed to refine it.

The expressions are EXCELLENT in this shot. The side lighting is pretty good, but you need more overall exposure and better white balance, and a hair light.

The gent appears to have his torso at a 45 degree angle to the camera. This is excellent. The human body usually photographs best at a 45 degree angle. The young lady however is turned too far away from the camera (look at her left shoulder it is pointed directly at the camera, a no no.) Both subjects should have all their weight on their rear hips, then they should tilt their heads toward one another.

Benji

Ben Jones

Thanks, Ben. I found that when I got directive as to the posing I lost the spontaneity of expression. Any tips on that?

I usually pose them first THEN I go after spontaniety of expression by saying things like "think about the moment he gave you the ring" or "what did you do on your last date that you can't tell mom and dad about!" DON'T make the capture when their smiles are huge, wait until they die down a bit. Once they out and out laugh at something you asked them or said to them they will be like putty in your hands.

Ben

fahim mohammed

Rachel, I think you have captured the memories for them. The color and brightness levels are much easier. Well done; I hope the compensated you well.

Regards.