• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Flower

Rachel Foster

One of the things I struggle with is recognizing which of my images are better than others. This I found in my archives. This was taken 9/2008. The flower needs to be sharper, more clearly delineated. That aside, is there any value in the composition of this?

smlfrflowerfence.jpg

Jacob Eliana: Yellow Flower

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I think, Rachel, that what you are drawn to is the imprisoned being of the flower which you relate to. Look at the composition and how the strong geometric boundaries of the fence limit the song of the flower. That, I think is what resonates with you. So what do you think?

Asher

Rachel Foster

I think it would be better if the fence was more proportionate to the flower: either smaller fence or larger flower. I like the geometry of it otherwise, and the colors. I wish the flower were sharper, larger.

Am I on track?

I think it would be better if the fence was more proportionate to the flower: either smaller fence or larger flower. I like the geometry of it otherwise, and the colors. I wish the flower were sharper, larger.

Am I on track?

Hi Rachel,

A longer focal length would have granted some of you wishes. It has a higher magnification factor, it increases the relative size of the background features, it has shallower DOF.

Cheers,
Bart

Rick Greely

Rachel,
In my humble opinion you did not miss the shot. I very much like the contrast provided by the larger fence and small flower. If we follow Asher concept of the flower being imprisioned the strong much larger fence only increase that vision with the small flower.