• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Birds

mark muller

Currently i'am taking a photography class and have been trying to capture a photo of a pheasant but by the time i get my camera out they are gone. what is the best way to handle this type of photo shoot?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Currently i'am taking a photography class and have been trying to capture a photo of a pheasant but by the time i get my camera out they are gone. what is the best way to handle this type of photo shoot?

Mark,

You need to have your camera with you and ready to go. Photography can be planned and deliberate, shooting in the studio or landscape, or else opportunistic, like street photography often is. The active moments in sports come and go very quickly, so one is tracking the play for the peak moments. Photographing will life has the properties of both planned shooting and tracking of sports play. Mike Spinak suggests one learns the rules of the game, ir the behavior of the creatures so one can predict what they'll do next.

Bird photography often starts with a bird feeder or else going along with a local birding group. In the first cases, it's a matter of cultivating reliable food source for the birds and the second it's the sharing of information that has been painstakingly gathered by passionate bird lovers.

Look at Jaimie's work, here.

Asher