• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Mr. P'eng, noodle vendor

John Angulat

pro member
Mr. P'eng has been contributing to my ever-expanding waistline for a number of years now.
His cart nevers seems to want for customers and the portions are ample.
Heck of a nice guy.​

JA3_2296sm.jpg

Life in New York...from my wanderings

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mr. P'eng has been contributing to my ever-expanding waistline for a number of years now.
His cart nevers seems to want for customers and the portions are ample.
Heck of a nice guy.​

JA3_2296sm.jpg

John Angulat: Mr. P'eng, noodle vendor Original

Life in New York...from my wanderings

John,

Yes, I could trust this man would give a good portion and it's reliably tasty, fresh and nourishing. You have caught him in a great moment and his care in serving the food is evident.

There's a lot of real estate there that should be less important. I really wondered about whether or not the lower 1 inch or so might be better cropped away. But then I realized that this space was needed but perhaps could be vignetted to a lower rank so that no attention is wasted there.

So how about this:

JA3_2296sm_vignettedAK.jpg

John Angulat: Mr. P'eng, noodle vendor Edited

I think just making the foreground and left side somewhat lest striking to the eye, might help boost the composition. What do you think?

Asher

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Asher,
Thanks for the help with this image. I like what you've done with it.
I struggled with a number of variations (mostly cropping) trying to focus one's eye on him.
I thought the foreground important as you lose the aspect of his cart without it.
It was tough to shoot to begin with. He's facing the street, as he always serves customers from the opposite site of the cart one normally see a vendor standing.
Also, his wife is always working the grill (her back would be to the viewer) and usually blocks the shot.
She stepped away momentarily and as I was dodging traffic standing in the middle of Canal Street I managed a few quick shots.
Thanks!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
She stepped away momentarily and as I was dodging traffic standing in the middle of Canal Street I managed a few quick shots.
John,

We just get a crack in the wall where the light comes in, so it's like a sport. The alignments are transient. These are the important moments that we, the most opportunistic street walkers, have to peer through. You aced it!

Asher

Rachel Foster

This image is the sort I simply cannot do. It's everyday life, interesting, full of character, but with good composition. Nice!

John Angulat

pro member
This image is the sort I simply cannot do. It's everyday life, interesting, full of character, but with good composition. Nice!
Interestingly enough, what you do so well is something I cannot do either. I've tried my hand (or camera, as it were) at portraits, still life and landscapes and always fallen short.
At one point in my conversation with Asher last week, I pointed out the window. "That's the only place I really feel comfortable" is what I said to him. I guess I'll only ever be a street shooter, but I'm trying hard to be good at it.
Thanks for the kind words, it means a lot to me.

John,

We just get a crack in the wall where the light comes in, so it's like a sport. The alignments are transient. These are the important moments that we, the most opportunistic street walkers, have to peer through. You aced it!

Asher

Asher, thanks very much for all your insight, it's greatly appreciated.

Charlotte Thompson

Nice one John
New York seems so very interesting-you show us so much of its life-
Now I want some of those noodles! looks so good
keep on takin' those pictures for us to look at

Charlotte-

Cem_Usakligil

Hi John,

I have been meaning to reply to this picture and then I got distracted. Fantastic picture, brings back sweet memories of NYC. We hope that we shall revisit soon. Thanks for showing us the daily life in the city that never sleeps.

Cheers,