• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

First outing with pup and 135L

Sydney Rester

I'm not sure which one I love more ;)

A bit too much "puppy bokeh" - I'll stop it down more next time, but I love the look on his face.

4406923276_4d3579174d_o.jpg

Pike and beloved toy​

I'm not sure which one I love more ;)

A bit too much "puppy bokeh" - I'll stop it down more next time, but I love the look on his face.

Hi Syndey,

Surely you love the 135L, eh I mean Pike, most ;-)

Bokeh at this output size on a 7D is fine. It really focuses (pun intended) on the expression (it's mine, and I'll chew it before you can even dream of taking it away).

But you are right, try to overcome too many shallow DOF images (unless they are fit for the occasion). Try playing with varying apertures and see which enhances the subject matter at hand. The 135L has a beautiful bokeh at somewhat narrower apertures as well.

Thanks for sharing,
Bart

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Sydney,
What a lovely pup! What a lovely image! How I wish they stayed this age forever!
I laughed when I first saw the tennis-ball-ring-thing Pike was chowing down on.
My seven year old Golden still chews through one a week!
The squeaker is first to go, then a rapid demise of the "donut", as we call it.
She loves parading the new ones around the house, squeaking her heart out!

On a more technical note, Bart has some wise advice about limiting the use of shallow DOF.
It can be overdone. Have fun playing with other settings and use Pike as the experiment!
I'd love to see more of him!