• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Fence Line Sunset

Larry Brown

I am new here and thought I would post an image.I am presently taking a Composition Class and shared this image for critique in the class.I am curious what others think so if you have a comment please do.The instructor commented on the mood,light,lines,framing and color.
I commented on how cold it was(it was low 20's) but had to stop while driving home(which is right over this hill) when I saw this shot from the side of the road.I am sure many here have similar story...

IMGP1650.jpg

Larry Brown: Fence Line Sunset

Hand held,Pentax K20D and DA 35mm Limited lens...EXIF should be intact....thanks for the look!

Last edited by a moderator:

ErikJonas

Banned
Larry...

Hey how are you... =) ....I would of edited out the 5 power lines that i see in the image that was the first thing that stands out to me anyway...

As for the perspective its shot from its really hard to say without knowing whats in the surrounding area, could be a telephone pole just out of frame on either side but i think thats what my issue with it would be...Nice color...

Did you try a number of perspectives?....Thats what i have learned to do...First you get what you think is your best shot then you grab a few other perspectives as you might as well specially with digital...If you have another perspective i'd like to see it...Not that i can give you any guidance or input thats going to amount to anything but this is just how i feel on the image...

The power lines have to go and most likely Asher would agree there as well others might too...And did you try lightening it up some?

Larry Brown

Thank you for your comment Erik and your friendly critique!Yeah those power lines bothered me too some but the shot was about the lines and the color of sunset,ect.I am not about endless editing and PP as I just try to keep it simple,never got the hang of Photoshop and such but I do use LR to process and develop with minor adjustments.Not trying to make excuses but I am a bizzy guy and lack the time to become proficient with with the editing process as I find myself just fumbling around and getting frustrated..As for just lightening it up,well I was going for the low light mood of the sunset,yes it could be a lot better I know and maybe with some time here and some encouragement from you and others here I will gain these skills needed and improve!
Thanks again Erik!

Larry

Ruben Alfu

Hello Larry, I like the play of strong lines in contrast with the smooth gradient of colors in the sky. I see the possibility of breaking down this image into smaller and simpler compositions with the benefit, IMO, of enhancing further the qualities mentioned before. I have included two examples to illustrate better this idea.

Sorry that I didn´t ask your permission beforehand, please let me know if you prefer not to include these edits in this thread. Anyway, this is meant to be just an experimentation on composition alone. What do you think about it?

IMGP1650.jpg

(edit 1 by Ruben Alfu for experimentation)

IMGP1650b.jpg

(edit 2 by Ruben Alfu for experimentation)

Larry Brown

Wow is what I want to say!Thanks for stopping in a looking in on my image here and making a comment,I am pleased you have.Being new here this is very kind to do so.
Let me also say to all that view any of my images,feel free to do what ever you like(until my shots command more than 75 cents,lol,I don't care)you have my permission,no problem....

Ruben, I like what you have done with the crop,especially the first one I find nice and I had shot one that is near that version you have done but the exposure and color was not near this image here,thank you for taking your time to work on it and comment.....now I will take the time to maybe look for some of your images and become more familiar with your work.Being new here it may take some time to know the members but it may be a while to do any serious critique but I will look.....

..and Rachel thank you also for taking your time to comment!I appreciate your defence of my image as it is.I felt it was not a bad image as is but as always it is what immediately meets the eye and how pleasing someone may find it but like alot of things in life some adjustments and experimentation can be helpful,if now fun, and I want to hear it all,the critiques are helpful,for me it makes me think of the possibilities,kinda gives me some hope I can do better.
I have seen some of your work here(have not dug deep in the archives here,LOL) and have found your images pleasing,don't remember which one but I started to make a comment which would have been a nice comment but was nervous in doing so as being new here but please know I have looked and liked!As I become more comfortable here you will probably find me commenting more...

Thanks guys and gals,
Larry

Rachel Foster

Larry, please feel free to critique the heck out of any image I post. I take it as a favor.

One thing about your image I'd like to elaborate on: Don't make the mistake of sanitizing images too much. Sometimes their "flaws" are their strong points. For example, when I shot this one, my husband was upset he spilled the champagne. *I* think it makes the shot.

smchamheadache.jpg

Jacob Eliana: Champagne Headache

ErikJonas

Banned
Hi larry....

I understand what you were saying about the shot being about the lines but to me they are conflicting lines...To me they dont make sense when i look at the image but thats just me...I hope you keep posting images and i look forward to sharing in conversation with you....