• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lonesome Point

Matt Halstead

Hi guys,

Haven't posted for a while as I've been mega busy with photography stuff!

Just finished this shot that I would like to share with you:

4411625220_e78b527e59.jpg

Make sure you click HERE to check out the much nicer bigger version!

Anyway, any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Read about this shot and others at my photoblog:

imagespike

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys,

imagespike

Hi Matt,

Very nice. I wonder if cropping it slightly on the left makes it even better because the left looks a bit uninteresting (but therefore it doesn't necessarily distract either), but I've not decided yet.

Thanks for sharing this almost angelic image,
Bart

Last edited by a moderator:

Cem_Usakligil

Hi guys,

imagespike

Hi Matt,

I have been meaning to react to this image but I wanted to do it within the context of this shoot as described in your blog as follows:

Matt Halstead said:
...Well, I’ve been at this blog lark for a couple of years and it’s been intreresting watching how different photographic styles have been doing the rounds. One particular photographer who has a particular style that has garnered particular interest on ta multitude of forums is Dave Hill. Dave has a great illustrated look to his work, and zillions of people have been trying to figure out how he does it. Whilst Dave Hill can’t be credited for the look, he is certainly the person who is associated with it. To this extent it should come as no surprise that at the end of last year, Dave Hill updated his portfolio. Whilst his old high contrasty images are still there, it is refreshing to see that he appears to have refined his style, with his new work having a cinematic feel to it. A look which i personally prefer over his older stuff.
As with his old work, the look is down to careful use of off camera flash (although I suspect he uses less flash on his new work), followed by plenty of photoshop!
Anyway, as I’m in the process of compiling my first formal portfolio, I noticed that a lot of my images were pretty dark and sinister, so i thought i would add more colour and beauty to my portraits, and as i love the feel of Dave’s new work I thought I would use that as the basis for my new style.

Once I've read this, it became virtually impossible to react to the image objectively as a standalone/individual piece of artwork. Because apparently it is made in order to emulate a certain style. To my mind, this is not the good order of doing things. I would think that you create a piece of art because your ideas/emotions/creativity lead you there and your style is a result of what you end up doing, not vice versa. Perhaps reading this thread and this one about "style" might help you understand where I am coming from.

Another thing which bothers me is the fact that this picture looks a lot like the Dave Hill picture called "Jenny M." (which can be found on the front page of his web site on the 4th row of icons from bottom to the left). I am not judgmental about it being a copy or something like that. I am only concerned that you are not using your own creativity (which I know that you have) well enough :) So presumably, you have created this image mainly for the purposes of seeing how it would work out for you, as a precursor for others to come?

So coming back to the image, it is a good image with good lighting and ditto pp. The only nit I can pick is the choice of the wide angle lens and the perspective. It makes the head of the model look much smaller compared to her body and her left arm/hand appears to be longer/larger. Also, the top part of her brassiere is clearly visible underneath her blouse, and it is not a very elegant sight IMO. Mind you, this remark is not due to any moral values, it is driven by my dreaded perfectionism :). HTH.

Cheers,

Matt Halstead

Hi Matt,

I have been meaning to react to this image but I wanted to do it within the context of this shoot as described in your blog as follows:

Once I've read this, it became virtually impossible to react to the image objectively as a standalone/individual piece of artwork. Because apparently it is made in order to emulate a certain style. To my mind, this is not the good order of doing things. I would think that you create a piece of art because your ideas/emotions/creativity lead you there and your style is a result of what you end up doing, not vice versa. Perhaps reading this thread and this one about "style" might help you understand where I am coming from.

Another thing which bothers me is the fact that this picture looks a lot like the Dave Hill picture called "Jenny M." (which can be found on the front page of his web site on the 4th row of icons from bottom to the left). I am not judgmental about it being a copy or something like that. I am only concerned that you are not using your own creativity (which I know that you have) well enough :) So presumably, you have created this image mainly for the purposes of seeing how it would work out for you, as a precursor for others to come?

So coming back to the image, it is a good image with good lighting and ditto pp. The only nit I can pick is the choice of the wide angle lens and the perspective. It makes the head of the model look much smaller compared to her body and her left arm/hand appears to be longer/larger. Also, the top part of her brassiere is clearly visible underneath her blouse, and it is not a very elegant sight IMO. Mind you, this remark is not due to any moral values, it is driven by my dreaded perfectionism :). HTH.

Cheers,

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

As I stated in my blog, I really love the new style of Dave Hill, and think that it would be fitting for a few ideas I have for upcoming shoots. However before arranging a model and locational shoot I first needed to make sure that I could deliver the look I was after in photoshop. So, in this respect this photo is indeed nothing more than a precursor for other things.

I think I will go back to my blog and make this point.

Re: Jenny M, I absolutely love the feel and effect of that shot and that's why I re-created it here. Trust me, the shoot I have planned for the weekend will be totally unique.

Re the actual image, I used a 50mm prime so am unsure about the perceived distortion, prehaps the model may have a slightly small head!!

Re: the brasserie, i totally agree and have since removed the straps!

Thanks again for the feedback.

Cem_Usakligil

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

As I stated in my blog, I really love the new style of Dave Hill, and think that it would be fitting for a few ideas I have for upcoming shoots. However before arranging a model and locational shoot I first needed to make sure that I could deliver the look I was after in photoshop. So, in this respect this photo is indeed nothing more than a precursor for other things.

I think I will go back to my blog and make this point.

Re: Jenny M, I absolutely love the feel and effect of that shot and that's why I re-created it here. Trust me, the shoot I have planned for the weekend will be totally unique.

Re the actual image, I used a 50mm prime so am unsure about the perceived distortion, prehaps the model may have a slightly small head!!

Re: the brasserie, i totally agree and have since removed the straps!

Thanks again for the feedback.
Excellent! Knowing know that this indeed was a "test" picture, I can certainly applaud the shoot and the pp as being very successful. I am very curious how the weekend shoot will turn out to be :). Please share when you are done.

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
;93646 said:
Hi guys,

Matt Halstead: Lonesome Point

DAVE_HILL.jpg

© David Hill used for editorial comment under "fair use" doctrine for editorial comment

Matt,

It's obvious where the heritage of your picture is and it's good you announce it clearly.

Asher

Matt Halstead

No problem Cem, will do. I have such an incredible image in my mind for this weekends shoot, I just hope I can pull it off!

Asher Kelman

Cem and Matt,

Since the earliest times, photographers have copied the techniques of others who had some success. This is how photography grows. We agree with this. So what's happening here. Matt, in getting married to Dave Hill's illustration and movie poster "look" has made a huge investment in the effort to assemble the techniques needed for this. To me that's fine. One can start by reproducing the effects that the target style requires and then one can savor the satisfaction of that cooking exercise.

At this point, one can do more, say 10 pictures and then I'd stop and step back. I'd print out the best of my photographs before this new work and put them on a clean white wall and the new razzle-dazzle graphic images to look at over a weeks to come. I'd go back to my previous ways of photography and do my best.

Then I'd write down what I wanted out of the new style, what it gave me as options for expression different from what I had before. I'd also be harsh to my work and that of Dave Hill. I'd want to interrogate each of the bodies of work and determine what I wanted to use of this style.

Matt, you may have done the same thing. The major point I am making is that to use someone elses style to express what's inside you or to earn a living is fine. Just be cautious in not trying to be David Hill.

Asher

Asher Kelman

DAVE_HILL.jpg

© David Hill used for editorial comment under "fair use" doctrine for editorial comment

Cem,

Yes, your pointing to the bra and the distortions is worth noting. Of course it's noticeable. However, that might be the point. By doing so, with the knowledge of the perfect form of the original, shows humor. It hold us the unrealistic display of David Hill's woman against the sky and says "David, let's be real, we are not like that. Real women have to use bras to keep our body in the idealistic forms you are peddling!"

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

....Matt, you may have done the same thing. The major point I am making is that to use someone elses style to express what's inside you or to earn a living is fine. Just be cautious in not trying to be David Hill.
This is such great advice Asher. Well said :)

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

...Cem,

Yes, your pointing to the bra and the distortions is worth noting. Of course it's noticeable. However, that might be the point. By doing so, with the knowledge of the perfect form of the original, shows humor. It hold us the unrealistic display of David Hill's woman against the sky and says "David, let's be real, we are not like that. Real women have to use bras to keep our body in the idealistic forms you are peddling!"
Fair enough, it may indeed be more of an asset rather than the imperfection I initially thought it was :)

Cheers,

Hi,

I didn't know Dave Hill's picture but i strongly like Matt's interpretation which, as noticed Asher, gives another direction to the subject. Yes, bra IS reality for most of women, it doesn't disturb me ;) Matt's picture appears more powerful to my eyes, because of tonal opposition between whites and blacks and because of this puddle which has a lot of sense : water and woman, sources of life ? :)