• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Show us your best rocks

StuartRae

I mentioned in one of Jan's threads in the Landscape Forum that I like rocks.

So post your best rock images. Boulders, rocks, stones, pebbles; interesting, unusual, big or small.

To get us going here are a couple of mine.

1. This dry-stone wall in Langstrath (the long valley) has a large boulder built into it.

langstrath-rock.jpg

2. By the side of a footpath near Seathwaite is one of the best examples of glacial striation that I've come across.

seathwaite-rock-1.jpg

And zooming in:

seathwaite-rock-2.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

Last edited by a moderator:

Cem_Usakligil

The last one is an evidence of extraterrestrial visitors during the last ice period, the tyre marks of their vehicles show clearly! lol ;-)

Joking aside, a good idea for a challenge. I'll see what I have got to share.

Cheers,

Ruben Alfu

This challenge rocks! Here are a couple from Boulder, Colorado.

IMG_1074-Edit.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Red Rocks 1

IMG_1046-Edit.jpg

Ruben Alfu : Red Rocks 2

These "elephant" rocks overlook the entrance to Drakes Bay from above Dillon Beach.

Taken at sunset on a cloudless day with my Canon 300D with EF-S 17-85mm lens.

3899528-lg.jpg

Even with a URL and IMG tags, my photo doesn't show up??

Cem_Usakligil

I think this one might fit the bill.

e06540.jpg

Ear of the Wind - Monument Valley - Navajo Tribal Park - Utah/Arizona - USA

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I mentioned in one of Jan's threads in the Landscape Forum that I like rocks.

So post your best rock images. Boulders, rocks, stones, pebbles; interesting, unusual, big or small.

To get us going here are a couple of mine.

1. This dry-stone wall in Langstrath (the long valley) has a large boulder built into it.

langstrath-rock.jpg

2. By the side of a footpath near Seathwaite is one of the best examples of glacial striation that I've come across.

seathwaite-rock-1.jpg

And zooming in:

seathwaite-rock-2.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

Stuart,

Thanks for this stimulating series of pictures to kick off your new thread. It's a great subject as the rocks have such a plethora of colors, texture and form to be explored and experienced. You have shown how we can get a new set of reactions as we go from just looking to coming close and seeing how things are actually made up at the macro level.

These are visually arresting and draw us in effectively to engage with the final picture where simple lines, texture and subtle color takes over.

Asher

Great challenge Stuart, and the photos submitted are an inspiration.

116313202.jpg

St. Peter Sandstone Layers​

Around 480 million years ago the central area of the North American continent was beachfront property. Lots of layers or very fine sand accumulated during the next 20 million years. Shortly after that, Raquel Welch started running around in a fur bikini.

Asher Kelman

Around 480 million years ago the central area of the North American continent was beachfront property. Lots of layers or very fine sand accumulated during the next 20 million years. Shortly after that, Raquel Welch started running around in a fur bikini.

So, Tom, where was Iowa City in reference to this beachline paradise? Humans appeared in Africa about 200,000 years ago and humanoids as much as 2.5 million years before that. So it's unlikely that any beachfront deck chairs were occupied by some female we'd want to notice. Perhaps there were ancestors of whales?

Asher

janet Smith

pro member
langstrath-rock.jpg

Some wonderful shots here everyone! Lovely shot of a fantastic rock Stuart, I love Langstrath. What a great thread you started - Thank you!

Mike Shimwell

What fun - a good theme Stuartand a variety of pictures.

Here are a couple from Claggan Bay on Islay and a Yorkshire Dales gatepost.

Mike

4428305929_b86fb8ee59_o.jpg

4428306121_9efa10a268_o.jpg

4428315117_138a142937_o.jpg

Daniel Buck

rocks & trees are a favorite subject of mine! This one is probably one of my favorite rock shots:

mojave_4x5_04.jpg

StuartRae

Many thanks to all of you who have posted - a magnificent response. There are far too many images to reply individually, but I love them all. I now have enough rocks to keep me happy for several days.
I feel however that I should make a special mention of Cem, who in post #14 seems to have discovered the anti-boulder :)

Just one more from me, of a rock I remember with affection mixed with a certain amount of dread.
Near the top of the ascent of Harter Fell from Eskdale is an impossibly steep grass slope leading to the rocky summit. I stopped half way up for a breather, and when the red dots stopped dancing in front of my eyes I saw a rock covered with concentric rings of lichen.
It was still there 3 years later.
I've done some investigation, and apparently this species grows at the rate of 1 - 5mm per year, so work out how old this 25cm patch is.

harterfell-rock.jpg

Stuart Rae - Harter Fell Rock​

Regards,

Stuart

Ron Morse

Some Maine rocks from Acadia Nat park, Bar Harbor. This area is known for its pink granite.
Shot in 2005 with the 20D using a Tamron 24-135.
Very late in the day.

mgb6525.jpg

At dusk looking towards sandbeach.
I[MG]http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/8868/mgb6492.jpg[/IMG]​

Mike Shimwell

Some rocks in a bit of beach street:) - just printed this actually and am quite pleased with it.

Mike

Low Newton by the Sea - Mike Shimwell
20100729a On the beach FP4 xtol 1+1.jpg

Asher Kelman

Mike and Ian,

Your two pictures both striking.

Some rocks in a bit of beach street:) - just printed this actually and am quite pleased with it.

attachment.php

Low Newton by the Sea - Mike Shimwell

The use of perspective, getting close with a wide angle lens, helps to build the importance of the rocks. The people add a sense of scale but do not take attention from the strong presentation of the rocks.

By the Russian Fort

DSCN0328.JPG

This picture has importance more evenly distributed. It appears less aggressive and more tranquil.

Just the use of perspective seems to make this remarkable difference!

Thanks both for sharing,

Asher

Last edited:

Ian Houston

I like the almost mundane (but who would consider the rocks and shore they are at mundane) meandering of the people a story waiting to be told more engrossing, though I do appreciate the tranquil commentary. How do you find aggression in the other?

Asher Kelman

I like the almost mundane (but who would consider the rocks and shore they are at mundane) meandering of the people a story waiting to be told more engrossing, though I do appreciate the tranquil commentary. How do you find aggression in the other?

Ian,

In Mike's photograph, the foreground rocks are distorted by the wide angle lens and so are larger and more important than otherwise observed, say with a 300 mm lens from 100 meters away.

In addition, the distribution of shading is such that the 3 D dimensionality of these rocks is so strong that each defines a presence of itself far beyond the casual presence of an equal number of interesting rocks in your own photo. That strong presence, appears to present then rocks as individuals of importance. That's a very different posture to that the rocks in your photograph have where they are subtle, blending in agreeably with the entire scene.

I hope that now makes sense!

Asher

Ian Houston

I see what youre saying, I think I looked too quickly and read the agressive part more on its own than as a comparative.
Ian,

In Mike's photograph, the foreground rocks are distorted by the wide angle lens and so are larger and more important than otherwise observed, say with a 300 mm lens from 100 meters away.

In addition, the distribution of shading is such that the 3 D dimensionality of these rocks is so strong that each defines a presence of itself far beyond the casual presence of an equal number of interesting rocks in your own photo. That strong presence, appears to present then rocks as individuals of importance. That's a very different posture to that the rocks in your photograph have where they are subtle, blending in agreeably with the entire scene.

I hope that now makes sense!

Asher

Asher Kelman

References to Two similar Beach Scenes Shot with different Lenses

I see what youre saying, I think I looked too quickly and read the agressive part more on its own than as a comparative.

Ian,

One of the fantastic things about the human mind is the ability to project the qualities of one thing to another through metaphorical associations. (In fact, all language, indeed every word, appears to be, at it's root, a metaphor.

We naturally think of a sky being angry or the see being calm. Ths this can carry through naturally to photography. The effects lighting and lens focal length on otherwise similar scenes is so remarkable. If we can think of this ahead of time, we'd make great cinematographers too.

Asher