• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Need help cropping these

Sydney Rester

I shot a friend's 40th b-day party tonight (just for fun), had a blast, but it was a tough shoot. Tiny cramped kitchen, and all the walls are covered with stuff - pictures, swags, flower arrangements, you name it. So I'm finding the backgrounds very distracting.

OR, are they just part of the overall mood of the party? It was at my friend's house in *her* kitchen, which we all know, and love, and recognize. Should I just let that stuff integrate into the pictures? My friend looked positively beautiful - she's going to love the shots of herself. No PP done yet.

I don't want them to just look like snapshots. Here are a couple of examples to give you an idea what I'm struggling with. These aren't the best of the bunch, some of them are soft, but I just started with a few because I was getting frustrated very quickly. They are basically SOOC with some attempts at crops on a couple. I have no idea how to crop these with SO much going on in the BG.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

4431603042_348671523b.jpg

4431602884_3b186d5cc5.jpg

4431602948_732c2dec24.jpg

4430834177_96733a6455.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Sorry about the broken links. They will be fixed momentarily.

Which one's will be fixed, the ones above, or are these, those?

Sydney,

In general, I don't think it's the crop that's the issue just the challenge of going beyond a family type snapshot of great personal value to a picture which also stirs feelings in others. For a memento, these may be perfect. However that's it.

4433384509_70175597b0_o.jpg

This one picture, however, has a lot of energy and life n it and it's a candidate for a B&W version which will be more impressive. The colors, IMHO, don't add much and it might be that you'll like a B&W presentation better.

Asher