• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Chapel on the Hill

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
Chapel of Our Lady of the Mount in Old Goa, Goa (India).

marymountchapel.jpg

For details and more images in the series, see this.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Rajan,

Interesting story and a very nice picture, thanks for sharing. This tropical foliage contrasts nicely against the classical (Portuguese?) architecture of the chapel. Was this taken during sunset, the hues are turning golden?

PS: I also liked the picture you took during the monsoon (which can be seen in your link).

Cheers,

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
Hi Rajan,

Interesting story and a very nice picture, thanks for sharing. This tropical foliage contrasts nicely against the classical (Portuguese?) architecture of the chapel. Was this taken during sunset, the hues are turning golden?

PS: I also liked the picture you took during the monsoon (which can be seen in your link).

Cheers,

Cem,

The churches in Goa are a beautiful synthesis of Goan and Western architectural styles. Most of the methods are Goan since the designers employed Goan masons and craftsmen to do the actual work.

Yes, the photograph was taken late evening a little before sunset. The hues did not turn as golden as I would have liked since on that day there was, if I correctly recall, a thin veneer of clouds on the horizon.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Rajan,

What's on the hill? I discovered that missionaries seem to like hills. People climb up and are tired and then rest there and the children can be looked after by a nurse of doctor for a while and the process of conversion begins.

Asher

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
Rajan,

What's on the hill? I discovered that missionaries seem to like hills. People climb up and are tired and then rest there and the children can be looked after by a nurse of doctor for a while and the process of conversion begins.
Asher

Asher,

It is a small hillock and the chapel is the only thing there. It is truly a magical location. In recent years there is a yearly series of music concerts held outside the chapel, which makes for an enchanting evening.

Albuquerque himself was tolerant of Hindus when he arrived. The large scale destruction of Hindu temples by the Portuguese and their religious intolerance manifested in the decades following Albuquerque. Almost every temple on the coastline was powderized. You may have heard of the Goa Inquisition.

Asher Kelman

Asher,

It is a small hillock and the chapel is the only thing there. It is truly a magical location. In recent years there is a yearly series of music concerts held outside the chapel, which makes for an enchanting evening.

Albuquerque himself was tolerant of Hindus when he arrived. The large scale destruction of Hindu temples by the Portuguese and their religious intolerance manifested in the decades following Albuquerque. Almost every temple on the coastline was powderized. You may have heard of the Goa Inquisition.

I know about the murderous Inquisition in Spanish territories in South America. Unlike the 15 years of the Third Reich and the Nazi SS, it lasted 150 years! I didn't realize it also involved India too! When did it occur?

Asher

Rachel Foster

It's a nice image. The only input I might have is that the white of the building seems overly bright compared to the foliage. Is that my screen or does it appear that way to anyone else?

Rajan Parrikar

pro member
I know about the murderous Inquisition in Spanish territories in South America. Unlike the 15 years of the Third Reich and the Nazi SS, it lasted 150 years! I didn't realize it also involved India too! When did it occur?

Asher

Asher,

For details of the Goa Inquisition, see this.

Writing from Ridgecrest, en route to Death Valley. Went to Trona Pinnacles this evening, and scalped some the magic hour light. Will go again before the sun rises tomorrow.

Asher Kelman

Asher,

For details of the Goa Inquisition, see this.

Writing from Ridgecrest, en route to Death Valley. Went to Trona Pinnacles this evening, and scalped some the magic hour light. Will go again before the sun rises tomorrow.
Rajan

Thanks for the reference. Unfortunately I read it!

Looking forward to more of these pictures from Goa and todays shoot!

Asher