• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Flirt: Night Shots With Two Norman Portable Strobes

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Re instated! Thanks Will! ADK

012K7349-a_2.jpg

Will Thompson: Flirt

Two portable Norman 400 w.s. Strobe setups each on a lights stand with a softbox so that the lights are moved around as a unit with no trailing wires.

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Will,

I like your work. You are to be commended for the way you have perfected your Norman Battery Powered strobes. You should write about about all the little features you have developed for modernizing these systems. Your lighting is fine but I'd consider a backlight/rim light/hair light to add detail to the contour and style of her hair. What would you choose? Have you an extra unused outlet from your Norman packs or would you need to add a pack?

The density of her make up or complexion might be a thing to consider adjusting in PS if she is going to buy the pictures! Yes, she does seem like a bit of a flirt!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Larry,

I don't understand, why the deletion?

The reason given by Will is:
Last edited by Will Thompson; Today at 08:42 AM. Reason: Post tampered with and is no longer my post!

The tampering Will refers to consists of the centering of the image on the page by Asher.

Asher is very dedicated to making sure that all images in OPF are presented in the best possible way to do them justice. He firmly believes that centering them on the page is an essential aspect of the best possible presentation. That's why he sometimes edits members' posts to center their images. Not many members object to this as the good intentions behind this edit are obvious. Some members, otoh, are not pleased when their posts are edited by the OPF mods regardless of the reasons behind it. This is apparently one such situation.

Does this answer your question?

Cheers,

Larry Brown

Hi Cem,

Well what a shame as I would have liked to have seen and maybe commented. For the record I see no harm in helping in the presentation here at OPF and since I am fairly new here naturally I would like to follow the practices that the owner/moderators prefer. The few I have posted have been "adjusted"/centered by Asher a couple of times with an explanation why while I learn the process. LOL,I even PM'ed him asking how to do it again last night, center and title my images here. I actually like the extra effort taken to make the presentation. I am a member of several forums where posting images in any matter is the norm but this forum, from my perception, is a cut above than the standard photo-forum, IMO. I am looking to improve my skills and raise the bar in my,although I am just a passionate enthusiast, photographic endeavors and why I joined this forum. OPF to me sets a higher standard than most forums and by doing so attracts and has better professional type atmosphere than most forums and I like that. The added steps needed to keep the bar set high should motivate and inspire to do their best work and post it here. For the everyday candid of the dog and kids I can always post them on one of the other forums I frequent as the ol' snapshot seems to be the common theme there...

Personally I am not that emotionally attached to any of my images, mov'em, flip'em, play all you want with mine(of course you make a buck with it please share, LOL), I still got the original so what's the big deal....

Larry

Hi Larry,

The reason given by Will is:

The tampering Will refers to consists of the centering of the image on the page by Asher.

Asher is very dedicated to making sure that all images in OPF are presented in the best possible way to do them justice. He firmly believes that centering them on the page is an essential aspect of the best possible presentation. That's why he sometimes edits members' posts to center their images. Not many members object to this as the good intentions behind this edit are obvious. Some members, otoh, are not pleased when their posts are edited by the OPF mods regardless of the reasons behind it. This is apparently one such situation.

Does this answer your question?

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

Hi Cem,

Well what a shame as I would have liked to have seen and maybe commented. For the record I see no harm in helping in the presentation here at OPF and since I am fairly new here naturally I would like to follow the practices that the owner/moderators prefer. The few I have posted have been "adjusted"/centered by Asher a couple of times with an explanation why while I learn the process. LOL,I even PM'ed him asking how to do it again last night, center and title my images here. I actually like the extra effort taken to make the presentation. I am a member of several forums where posting images in any matter is the norm but this forum, from my perception, is a cut above than the standard photo-forum, IMO. I am looking to improve my skills and raise the bar in my,although I am just a passionate enthusiast, photographic endeavors and why I joined this forum. OPF to me sets a higher standard than most forums and by doing so attracts and has better professional type atmosphere than most forums and I like that. The added steps needed to keep the bar set high should motivate and inspire to do their best work and post it here. For the everyday candid of the dog and kids I can always post them on one of the other forums I frequent as the ol' snapshot seems to be the common theme there...

Personally I am not that emotionally attached to any of my images, mov'em, flip'em, play all you want with mine(of course you make a buck with it please share, LOL), I still got the original so what's the big deal....

Larry

Larry,

Thanks for your understanding and Cem for your explanation.

Will is a dear friend of man and has a spirit that I admire. This post used his optimized Norman set up and I was happy to have some extra light put on his methodology and achievements. Although he had a warning on nudity I felt that N.S.F.W., "Not Suitable For the Workplace" was more appropriate since it was not mere nudity, IMHO. Moderators judgments are often imperfect and I'm open to that criticism. Given the choice between deleting a partially nude image that raises questions, and losing the chance to highlight the lighting used, I went for giving the N.S.F.W. prefix.

To do that, I made a new post under my name commenting on the work and then moved the original thread there. The wording of the title simply reflects the added emphasis of his great ideas on his portable lighting system. Simple edits for clarity are the norm here. That includes spelling and punctuation corrections and the like to meet a standard of readability we want.

In this case, the new heading caused upset and that's going to occur and that's the unfortunate overhead. I could have deleted the thread and that would also have been an imperfect decision too.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Larry, Asher,

It seems that my explanation of what has transpired was not accurate. I had looked at the change logs of the vBulletin and could only see the change to the centering of the image. My apologies for inadvertently creating a misleading post.

Asher Kelman

Will,

Thanks for calling me to reinstate you image. Good think you sent these to me some time back! I will add the details of your setup on receipt. The new prefix, albeit long, should take care of everyones needs.

Cem,

This is a good time to bring up "Centering". Ideally, images should be posted with respect as it it was someone else's precious image we were showing in a fine gallery. There's bare gallery wall each side and above and below such pictures as well as a card, for example:

Artist: Title

When there are many pictures, in a challenge, for example, it's easier on the eyes that the pictures line up when one scrolls. Doing this automatically by the forum software would be far better as we'd prefer not ever touch anyone's post. My apologies to folk who don't like images centered!!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Well, now that that's over with, and we understand the meaning of meaning . . .

Perhaps next week we'll find out what semi-nudity is. Maybe an invention of the National Hijab Marketing Council. Is there semi-demi nudity?

Now to the photography - you remember photography, don't you?

Cute model, cute shot.

Will, I'm surprised by the lack of sharpness at the face. DoF at f/4 should have taken care of it.

Asher Kelman

Well, now that that's over with, and we understand the meaning of meaning . . .

Perhaps next week we'll find out what semi-nudity is. Maybe an invention of the National Hijab Marketing Council. Is there semi-demi nudity?

Oecumenicus!

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Will,

Would you perhaps add a description of your Norman portable light setup, including how many lights one can have from one pack. With Lumedyne, one can have two. I couldn't tell from the Norman pictures how many they have.

Asher

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Will,

Would you perhaps add a description of your Norman portable light setup, including how many lights one can have from one pack. With Lumedyne, one can have two. I couldn't tell from the Norman pictures how many they have.

Asher

As many as you have "Y" splitter cables!