• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Kids

Some shots from the Christening of Oscar Crossman.

The two girls are his cousins.

As always, your constructive critique is most welcome.

OC_0100_W_s.JPG

OC_0096_W_s.JPG

OC_0108_W_s.JPG

OC_0065_W_s.JPG

Rachel Foster

I am reluctant to comment on photos of children because I'm such a sucker for kid photos they all look marvelous to me.

That said, amazing shots!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
OC_0100_W_s.JPG

This, Johann is the most beautiful to me as there are no fingerprints on it from your methodology. In the others we see the reflection of the flash. In any case, I prefer larger light sources. Isn't there a window too. That should be enough.

As it is each picture shows a wonderful lovable precious imp of a child! Good work.

I'm enjoying the presence of the kids but this first picture is so natural and gives, perhaps, a glimpse of character.

Asher

This, Johann is the most beautiful to me as there are no fingerprints on it from your methodology. In the others we see the reflection of the flash. In any case, I prefer larger light sources. Isn't there a window too. That should be enough.

As it is each picture shows a wonderful lovable precious imp of a child! Good work.

I'm enjoying the presence of the kids but this first picture is so natural and gives, perhaps, a glimpse of character.

Asher

Thanks Asher.
Unfortunately she was not in the greatest of moods, and plainly ignored me. I could not get a single decent shot of her looking at me.

Flash was diffused but as you say, a larger source would be better....... but trying that on location where you need to run around after subjects is not possible.

So we keep trying.......

Asher Kelman

Thanks Asher.
Unfortunately she was not in the greatest of moods, and plainly ignored me. I could not get a single decent shot of her looking at me.

Flash was diffused but as you say, a larger source would be better....... but trying that on location where you need to run around after subjects is not possible.

So we keep trying.......
Try using no flash, just a piece of white card as a relfector!

Overcast days in S. A. is unlikely, I'd imagine or am I mistaken? If you have that condition then essentially you have an infinitely wide softbox and the most perfect light. Otherwise, how about shooting in the shade and still one can use a reflector to lighten her face from below.

What's important here is that you did a good job. That first picture works well for me, cooperation or not!

Asher

Try using no flash, just a piece of white card as a relfector!

Overcast days in S. A. is unlikely, I'd imagine or am I mistaken? If you have that condition then essentially you have an infinitely wide softbox and the most perfect light. Otherwise, how about shooting in the shade and still one can use a reflector to lighten her face from below.

What's important here is that you did a good job. That first picture works well for me, cooperation or not!

Asher

All tips duly noted Asher.

Only one little problem - this was not controlled (set up) shooting - just sheer candid type stuff - no chance for reflectors, boxes etc.

And just to add to the problem - heavily overcast afternoon - Yes, we do get them !

Asher Kelman

And just to add to the problem - heavily overcast afternoon - Yes, we do get them !

That condition is idea lfro realy soft protraits as there's no specular light. The entire sky becomes one gian softbox. If you want ideal conditions outside, then this is it except for the dramatic olor and light angle at dawn and sunset.

Shade is another friend! A simple 16 inch reflector, which springs out from a mere 6 inch flat bag is perfect for adding light to the face and either removing shadows or adding dimensionality. Try it, it's fun and also recruits others into the photographic process. For a head shot, the model can hold it at or above waist level and you adjust the angle to approx 45 degrees to get the effect you want. no batteries, no wires; portable magic!

Asher