• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

samurai girl

Nuno Alexandre

Hi,
This was my third time doing a photo shoot, and I'd like to get some feedback about these images.
They are not suppose to be used in any magazine or anything, its basically for me and her. For me to gain experience in doing photo shoots and for her to have some different pictures.

The look am after is the kind of cinematic look from the samurai/kung-fu movies.

Equipment used was:
5D Mark II
24-70 f/2.8 L
70-200 f/2.8 IS
2x 580EXII cross lightning her, one at 1 o clock from camera position and other one behind her, slightly to the side, so the light passes behind her, but not hit directly.
Shoot @ f/2.8 - ISO 400, main light manual at 1/4 , back-light at somewhat less.

Thanks for your feedback in advance.

1.jpg

Samurai Girl 1 - Nuno Alexandre

2.jpg

Samurai Girl 2 - Nuno Alexandre

3.jpg

Samurai Girl 3 - Nuno Alexandre

Ben Jones

They all appear to be underexposed, and the lighting in the first two is not the best. The lighting in # 3 is good but you needed more fill light to raise the shadows up. Black cloth is especially hard to get detail in. I "cheat" sometimes by saving the same image two ways, the fisrt with good detail in the blacks (by raising the exposure level in ACR) and the second with proper exposure on the skin. Then I combine the two and erase the over exposed skin and background in the image I want to use the black clothing in.

Benji

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
They all appear to be underexposed, and the lighting in the first two is not the best. The lighting in # 3 is good but you needed more fill light to raise the shadows up. Black cloth is especially hard to get detail in. I "cheat" sometimes by saving the same image two ways, the fisrt with good detail in the blacks (by raising the exposure level in ACR) and the second with proper exposure on the skin. Then I combine the two and erase the over exposed skin and background in the image I want to use the black clothing in.

Benji

Realistic evaluation from Ben!

Nuno,

I'd ask what is the setting that such images might be used: model's portfolio, practice lighting, artistic, editorial or what.

Ashert

Paul Abbott

These are great, I like the underexposure in these too. I can see enough detail in the dark clothing without any problem.