• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Panes & Panels

Paul Abbott

This belongs to a small series of photos i've collected so far, entitled 'Panes & Panels'. I think I have posted one other from it a long time ago.

panespanels31of1600-1.jpg

Paul Abbott Panes & Panels #3

Ken Tanaka

pro member
I like the concept, Paul. The dynamic geometry created by simply pointing the camera up is nice. I do, however, wonder if you've over-cooked the contrast. My own inclination might have been to experiment with turning down contrast and saturations to better feature the rear plane reflection.

I'd like to see more images from this set.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I like the concept, Paul. The dynamic geometry created by simply pointing the camera up is nice. I do, however, wonder if you've over-cooked the contrast. My own inclination might have been to experiment with turning down contrast and saturations to better feature the rear plane reflection.
Ken,

If that was done, wouldn't you still like higher contrast in the rest of the building, so this might mean blending two layers with your new one masked.= to show only the rear windiow reflections.

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Such simple, strong forms and such simple visual rhythm need neither the amplified chroma nor luma contrast for their simple presentation. A lighter, more delicate hand with the panels would enable the reflection, and the intersecting striations, to become a more stimulating part of the composition.

To very limited extent I could modify Paul's posted jpg here is the general direction to which I refer:

123300652.jpg

The decorative architectural panels begin to float free from the building and float before the reflection of neighbors, an effect the architect likely intended.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Such simple, strong forms and such simple visual rhythm need neither the amplified chroma nor luma contrast for their simple presentation. A lighter, more delicate hand with the panels would enable the reflection, and the intersecting striations, to become a more stimulating part of the composition.

To very limited extent I could modify Paul's posted jpg here is the general direction to which I refer:

123300652.jpg

The decorative architectural panels begin to float free from the building and float before the reflection of neighbors, an effect the architect likely intended.

Ken,

I do like the effect you have shown, but both have value.

It's obvious that some wavy lines are indeed reflections. I realize now the complexity of the lines of the brick and I'm not certain of the form of the building without this effect.

Asher

Paul Abbott

Thanks for that again.
I have tried what you mentioned and I ended up liking the more translucent quality the panels had. When I first processed this image, I only thought about form and shape, enhancing those areas. I have to say though not much was done to this image by way of processing.

The right side of the image is the reflection of the hotel on the opposite side of the road, which I was pleased about 'cos it gave the image something more than just a straight shot of the colourful panels.
I am hating the look of the first image I processed now, the contrast is indeed over the top, its cold-looking too.

Here is my version:

panespanels1of1600-1.jpg

Paul abbott Panes & Panels #3

I keep looking at the initial image I posted, and it freaks me out, what the hell was I thinking of, I ended up processing the reds, black! Not that I do much colour work, anyway.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Nice work, Paul. Lightness of hand is a much more difficult technique to master than blunt force trauma. (This is a phenomenon that the dry and wet darkroom have both facilitated.) When I return to post-processing I performed 5 or 6 years ago I often mouth exactly what you wrote: "What the hell was I thinking of?".

Nice exercice.

Paul Abbott

When I return to post-processing I performed 5 or 6 years ago I often mouth exactly what you wrote: "What the hell was I thinking of?".

Nice exercice.

Yeah, I can imagine, Ken. :D
I guess, its the process of evolving and being open to new ways of looking and thinking.

Anyway, thanks for looking and commenting, and picking up on this.