• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Loco Motion

Gregg Simpson

I took this one last year at North Yorkshire Moors Railway,

LocoMotion-3317p.jpg

Gregg Simpson: "Loco Motion"

This is the " Black 5" leaving Goathland for Grosmont. I wanted something different for my shot, trying to emphasize the power and speed of these bygone beasts of steel and steam.

Gregg

Last edited by a moderator:

Doug Kerr

Hi, Greg,

I took this one last year at North Yorkshire Moors Railway, " Black 5" leaving Goathland for Grosmont.
I wanted something different for my shot, trying to emphasize the power and speed of these bygone beasts of steel and steam.

You have to have the "CENTER" tags outside the "IMG" tags (and no URL tags, although I suspect the board put those in owing to the other error).

LocoMotion-3317p.jpg

"Loco Motion"​

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Gregg,

I love trains and they have been excellent subjects for photographers. So many different ways trains have been shown but not enough with movement like this. Tell us about your interest in trains and how you came to do the picture. As a matter of taste, i'd have reversed the direction so the beast goes forward, left to right, at least in the Western way of looking at things.

I do like the soft pastel nature of the image and the blurring motion artifacts on the wheels and other parts of the massive locomotive. I would love to see this at half the size with white matt around it so it can be digested as one subject. At present, it's so large with so many sub-components that I'm not getting the gestalt of the whole image. Also, it would be a treat to see other any like picture of this train, to get a sense of it as a theme, (in the way you have looked at it). As an isolated image this is interesting and catches one's attention. As a small series it could very well be much more informative and meaningful.

Asher

I put your name underneath! Also add it in the IPTC code (Photoshop, "File Info").

Gregg Simpson

Hi Asher,

Thanks for your comments, I also love steam, this particular day was dull and raining, the static shots were looking flat, so I thought I would shoot with a slow shutter and a wide angle lens 1/4 sec f/5.6 24mm and panning through as the engine left the station, the result was better than I anticipated.

I don't know what part of the globe you live on, but if you ever are in North Yorkshire, England, NYMR is worth a visit even on a rainy day.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Asher,

Thanks for your comments, I also love steam, this particular day was dull and raining, the static shots were looking flat, so I thought I would shoot with a slow shutter and a wide angle lens 1/4 sec f/5.6 24mm and panning through as the engine left the station, the result was better than I anticipated.

I don't know what part of the globe you live on, but if you ever are in North Yorkshire, England, NYMR is worth a visit even on a rainy day.

Any other pictures to show? Can we see this smaller too? With a lot of white space then I can imagine it on a wall in a gallery.

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Hi Asher,

Hi Greg

Are you another from North Yorkshire? or just visiting?

There are a couple of other Yorkies here, me included.

Mike

Gregg Simpson

Just for Asher

Hi Asher,

Image flipped and white space added, I hope it's not too big! It looks lost on 24" iMac.

LocoMotion-3317flip.jpg

Gregg Simpson "Loco Motion" flip​